2nd PCA trunk mount to fail

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleake

Reaction score
I originally purchased the 1st generation of the PCA (Premier Cycle Accessories) trunk mount for my 08 FJR. While I loved the look of the mount with the FJR logo in it, I could see why it failed after only 2 years of light/moderate use.

img-20120330-00190.jpg

It was replaced by PCA with their second design which appeared to be much stronger, but after another 2 years, it is starting to crack as well.

20140315_083032.jpg

I carry a GIVI V46 on it the majority of the time, but only have a few odds-n-ends in it that may weigh a pound or two. On the way home I might pick up a gallon of milk or something, but that's only a few times. It has been loaded with 10-12lbs of gear for a couple of short overnight trips, but never loaded heavily. My guess is the constant shaking when going over railroad tracks and rough roads has caused the fatigue in the aluminum.

While I really like the "appearance" of the stock grab bars and this luggage rack, it's really looking like going with a GIVI SR357 is going to be the better option. I've seen the "Stiffy" by Garauld and will likely add that as well, but so far the sub-frame appears to have no issues. This just really concerns me if any others have experienced this?

I have the rack in the first pic with a Bestem trunk. On mine, the front two mount bolt recessed bosses ripped out. Easy fix was longer bolts with big washers to spread the load.

I thought this model rack was already a 2nd gen due to previous failures on their 1st gen rack.

I installed the stiffy kit a few weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received a reply from PCA that I admitted overloading the rack, so they will not replace it. This is because in their opinion I carried more than 6 lbs in my trunk for 2 short overnight trips. Their estimate was wrong, because I use a V46, not the E55 they used for estimating, so that allows me to carry 10 lbs, and my max I have ever carried would be 10-12 lbs. The bike has a limit of 22lbs on the factory rack, but the bike held up fine, it is the PCA rack that couldn't handle a 9 lb trunk and 10lbs of luggage in it for a couple of trips. The funny part, I made those trips right after I put the mount on 2 years ago, and last year, I only used it for my daily commute. I'm pretty disappointed that they would not offer to replace it under warranty. Besides, the mount doesn't have ANY weight restrictions listed on itself.