30GB Video ipod RAM holder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodstock

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the RAM AquaBox 2 Mount (or other mounting) for (30GB) Video IPods?

Click

I need to upgrade from my ipod-shuffle.

Slightly off topic, I wouldn't recommend a hard disk based player, Yes they are anti shock but high frequency vibrations will kill the HD.

Chris

Yeah, I bought one of these in a smaller form factor for my Creative MP3. Nice box, but the rubber/plastic membrane was warped when new. Impossible to unwarp it.

I have a Creative Zen Jukebox 30GB. Velcro it with industrial velcro on the audio system cover of my Venture and I let it ride in my tank bag on the FJR. 3 years of use, 34,000 miles and no problems. 300+ albums, 3200+ tracks loaded and have yet to have a problem. Battery is getting a little tired. Used to get 13 hours or so. Now down to 10-11 hours before it needs recharging. The tiny drives can take alot before failing. Or it could be the robustness of the packaging Creative put around it. My Zen is cigarette pack sized compared to the new chewing gum pack sized iPods. The iPods may be more susceptable to vibration because of their small size. Less mass makes it easier to get them in harmonic vibration???

:search:

I rode with a 20gig iPod on my '03 for about 26,000 miles before the Hard drive died. I used a RAM specific mount for it. I replaced the 20gig with a Nano. I have a RAM specific mount for the Nano as well as an Aquabox from RAM for when it rains. When using the Aquabox I put a Belkin additional battery pack under the Nano and it holds it nice and flush to the Aquabox screen (plus gives me many, many hours of music). It works well with summer gloves, thicker winter gloves I can only get it to start, stop and skip as the click wheel functions don't translate well through all the extra thickness.

Good luck and enjoy,

Comet

Yeah, I bought one of these in a smaller form factor for my Creative MP3. Nice box, but the rubber/plastic membrane was warped when new. Impossible to unwarp it.
How "flexible" are the AquaBox? The internal dimension of the smaller one is supposed to be 2.3 inches wide, but the Video iPod is 2.4 inches wide. Since the box is much deeper than the iPod is there enough flex that I could reasonably squeeze the iPod into the AquaBox?

The Aquabox is very sturdy plastic. The only part with any flex at all is the "film" that covers the front so you can work the controls. I would not count on getting the Aquabox to flex without applying some heat and force and that would likely leave it less than waterproof.

That being said I have now ran mine with the Nano for several hundred miles in hard rain with absolutely no leaking or any other issues. The instructions have you feed the headphone cord through the back and I found that to be a pain so I bought a foot long headphone cord from Radio Shack and permanently mounted it to the Aquabox so that I don’t have to fiddle with routing my headphone cord. Basically if your iPod/MP3 player will fit in it and you ride in the rain it does work as advertised in my experience.

Comet

damnit. Maybe I should get a nano and just leave it on the bike?. Is it (a nano in the smaller AuqaBox) easy enough to see and control from the bike when riding? It looks like the smaller AuqaBox (the one that the Video doesn't fit) is significantly larger than a nano.

I have the larger Aquabox for the Nano as I use it with a Belkin 4 AA power adapter which is the same width as my old 20gig iPod. The Nano itself is tiny and I can only imagine you’d need to have something more than the foam padding behind it even in the smaller Aquabox to keep it flush with the film. I generally do not try to “read” anything on it while underway. I use only volume and skip/pause while moving and I pick playlists and such while stopped. That being said I can read it adequately on the move with the backlight engaged (but the screen is small in comparison to the other iPods). I am sure it would be easier if I got one of the longer RAM arms to mount it on as that would bring it closer to my eyes. Mine is mounted on a RAM ball bolted to the unused left mirror mount that also holds the Yamaha heated grip controller. When it is not raining out (kind of rare this time of year in Western WA) I have the standard RAM mount for the Nano and that works exceptionally well as there is no film between you and the iPod.

Comet

How "flexible" are the AquaBox? The internal dimension of the smaller one is supposed to be 2.3 inches wide, but the Video iPod is 2.4 inches wide. Since the box is much deeper than the iPod is there enough flex that I could reasonably squeeze the iPod into the AquaBox?
I believe it's Whitehorse press that sells and recomends the "medium" size box for the video ipod