3M CUSTOM BIKE WRAP INSTEAD OF PAINT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blurry vision

Reaction score
I did a forum search but did not find any info on wrapping a bike. I know you can by the 3M protective kit for the FJR. I am considering finding someone who can apply a custom wrap on my bike instead of paint. I could just do a portion or most of the bike. Has anyone on the forum done this to their entire bike? If so are there any negatives to this process versus paint. I believe the process is, they make a custom sticker(wrap), cut it to fit your bike, then peel and stick. You can pick any color, picture, graphics etc.. It's a little cheaper than paint, but you can get whatever you want on the bike. Thanks for helping the FNG.

Good idea, but..

Take it from one who used to spend all day applying graphics to boats. Custom fit or not, it's a real challenge to get them on without bubbles, rips and the like.

Cool stuff mind ya, Just expect to lose a few hairs before you get done. ;)

:jester:

Somebody showed a carbon fiber wrap on an FJR side bag a while back. I loved it, would love to see this done.

Here's a fun video on the process.

Wow. That is way too much work for a fake carpet fiber overlay.

The whole point of a carbon fiber part is that is lighter than an equivalent strength normally constructed part.

Sorry, but I think this is just goofy. Why not just chrome it? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've toyed with the idea of getting my bike wrapped if the paint ever gets too scratched. Contacted a few companies, and it would be about the same cost as a custom paint job, with the benefit of being able to print a new section if it got damaged or scratched. You are also able to see the final product before it gets applied, so you can get the image just right. Still, it's something for me to do once I win the lottery...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea, but..Take it from one who used to spend all day applying graphics to boats. Custom fit or not, it's a real challenge to get them on without bubbles, rips and the like.

Cool stuff mind ya, Just expect to lose a few hairs before you get done. ;)

:jester:

I have the patience but not the skills to do the job. I will be paying someone for the work. That way they can do it how ever many times it takes to get it right.

I can see putting the reflective stripes on that are about the same color as the rims are already, just for the added night time visibility / conspicuity, but I wouldn't really care for the bling bling of the color stripes on a Feejer.

However, that is why they can have horse races... ;)

... I wouldn't really care for the bling bling of the color stripes on a Feejer.
Precisely the reason I was looking to see it on someone else's bike first! I'm with you, Fred. But on the sport bikes I've seen, I think it looks real cool.