4 year brake & clutch rebuild

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbdig

Reaction score
The book says to rebuild your brake & clutch master cylinder and replace the lines every 4 years. i'm a little behind on my 04.

Is there a kit you can order to do the whole job or do you have to try and figure out each and every part number and order then all individualy?

Thanks, Jack

Had mine since July of 02 and have not touched them. I flush the fluids as part of the annual maint. I do each spring and I have had the front calipers apart once for cleaning. As far as buying the parts , I have not seen anything in kit form and I would say if it isn't broken don't fix it. There hasn't been reported problems.

Suspect the book recommendation is a cover your butt thing by Yammy. I've never done that in such a short time, however, you should have flushed and bled your system with new fluid every two years. The components won't degrade that fast. Some 25 year old bikes I have owned have never had anything done to them, but the lines get "stretchy" with old age and brakes may not work as well.

If you do change the lines, I would go stainless steel braided. Galfer, Goodridge or Russel.... check they have vinyl coatings to prevent abrasion to nearby components/paintwork. Perhaps others have a preferred one, but stainless will last and eliminates stretching (firmer brakes).