• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

590 mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you be more specific? How others have mounted theirs, or wanting to buy a specific mount? I have a MCL steering nut and ball to sell if that is something you are looking for. ...Don

GPSCity has what looks to be a pretty good one. How do you like that GPS? Does it have a hook up for apps or updates on your cell? I have read yes and no as the 595 does have this capability but at an outrageous premium. Currently use a Chinese GPS but thinking of upgrading it.

SmashVol I just recently got this model and haven't had the opportunity to play with it to much, but if does have the smart link function available on it. As I understand you can download the smart link app on your phone and sync the two. For a cost you can subscribe to weather, live traffic etc...I have ordered the mount from gpscity as you recommend along with a new battery as mine won't last but a minute before it shuts down.

Flash, did you get this unit second-hand or buy it brandy new? Reason I ask is that before you accept that new battery you may want to get it mounted and used for a bit. When I first got mine (new) I'd plug it in via USB and also took some short test runs with it and like you, found the battery would only last two or three minutes if I used it without any power source. This lasted for awhile with me thinking it was a downside in this unit's design. At some point though, maybe after some all-day runs?, things changed and now the battery seems to hold a normal charge. Don't know what a new battery goes for but you may find it ends up sitting on a shelf.

Some old threads from here in case you haven't seen them:

On the 590, battery life can be affected by how you shut down the unit. The default shut-down is in standby mode. If you turn off the key or briefly touch the on/off button the GPS is in standby. You have to hold the on/off button several seconds to get a screen to turn the unit fully off.

The GPS can remain powered a long time in standby mode, but you will think the battery is bad because it won't run for very long if you don't turn it completely off.

It was a used unit, I charged overnight and couldn't get it to stay on (even while routing with it) more than a minute . Battery on order as well.

I had issues with my original 590 and Garmin eventually sent me an entire NEW unit.

It included ALL the harnesses, (bike and auto), so I now have one installed and a complete extra set of cables.

If interested, PM me and make a reasonable offer.

(I can also discount a set of helmet lock brackets)

Just an FYI, I used the stock 590 mount bolted to an aluminum plate.

There's a tab that sticks out slightly for a small baggage lock which prevents the

release of the mechanism.. Super clean and very secure:

My old 04 FJR, I used a stem mount (like my FZ6)(shown is my old Street Pilot III)

Last edited by a moderator: