660 Garmin versus 590 or 595 Garmin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Havard

Reaction score
New Garmin needed... I like having the Garmin but my question is what are some thoughts on the 590 and 595 Garmin? My 660 which I bought for around $600 (9 years ago) is having problems and needs to be replaced. (tried to have GpsCity fix it but they could not get it to act up and could not diagnose the problem) So...go back to 660 or 665 on a discontinued model (if I can find one) or spend the money on a 590 or 595 which will be $700-$900.?

I'd get a refurbished 660 or 665 for like $320 and call it good. IMO, too much missing from the others to really ci aider them. I like being able to load my music onto my SD card and just run the GPS.

I'd get a refurbished 660 or 665 for like $320 and call it good. IMO, too much missing from the others to really ci aider them. I like being able to load my music onto my SD card and just run the GPS.
I keep forgetting what is missing from my 595?

The 595 has the ability to use your cellphone as a gateway to the internet for weather and traffic info. It can share routes with similar generation Garmins, but I haven't tried this. Supports the Garmin sports camera, and TPMS.

Was delighted with my Garmin TPMS for about 1500 miles then one day it quickly woke when I pushed the bike around but when I saddled up to ride it was mute for miles. Then worked. The next ride it woke as I pushed the bike near the air compressor, then mute for the next 260 miles. I'll debug later but will vent now about the organization or lack thereof in the user interface. Somewhere is a menu for enabling and registering a new TPMS, and for setting the alert low pressure. On the road today (actually stopped to eat) I could not find that menu page. Have observed previously how the TPMS functions are hidden if no TPMS is registered but stumped without the manual to figure out where it is that one registers a TPMS.

Know something is amiss, such as the 595 totally forgot about the TPMS (currently only have front wheel configured until i can get a metal right angle valve stem on the back) because it didn't complain about sensors not responding. Its last gasp this morning informed me the pressure was low, 34.6 PSI. It was also cooler last night than usual.

^^^ Just an fyi, the flakey TPMS sensors are/were an acknowledged bug and should be fixed with a recent update. I had the same problem over the summer but no issues since updating.

^^^ Just an fyi, the flakey TPMS sensors are/were an acknowledged bug and should be fixed with a recent update. I had the same problem over the summer but no issues since updating.
Have heard that too. Mine is as updated as Garmin Express.app will update.

However, it connected to my Mac this morning but won't now. I think Garmin hired too many programmers from Microsoft. Sadly Garmin does GPS better than anyone, but its still fraught with peril.

IMHO, the 590 series is a good upgrade from the 660 series...... try GPS city for latest prices, last I looked $549.

but a great GPS is still the 550.

I haven't moved on from the 665 because none of the new garmins support the XM antenna. With weather, traffic, and radio via the antenna, it will be hard to live without tunes. I know there are other ways to skin the cat, but I like being able to control everything via the zumo. The next logical step would be the 595, but will have to wait until the referb ones come down in price.

No comparison. The 590 is far and away brighter, larger, more versatile and works better with modern smartphones and BT devices. See the Group Buy information in that section of the forum for a discount code to get the group price.

And no antenna needed on the 590/595 for traffic and weather as you'll link it to their Smartlink app on your phone. Listening to XM is also possible through XM's app however I haven't seen a way to control station changes etc, through the Zumo.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a group buy going on at this time. I am not sure if it is over yet or not. I believe the price on a 590LM was $529.00 or somewhere close to that. As far as the Zumo 660LM you can still get those brand now for $329.00 at GPScity I believe. There are other sites that sell them for the same price. No need to get a refurbished unit.

Good Luck,

Dave