905 Crash bar sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C5INC

Reaction score
After several monthes and many emails to Stephanie at 905, I finally got the sliders for the front crash bars that they promised in the group buy. She said you might need to grind out the paint inside the bar to get them to fit. I used a Dremmel sanding wheel and took off all the paint and it's still very tight. I drove it about 2/3 of the way in and then wondered about getting it off if you needed to remove the crash bar. :unsure: After lots of cussing and gouges from pliers and hammers I got it back out. :angry2: My next plan is to sand down the slider enough for a snug, but still removable, fit. Then drill and tap the bar for a small set screw to hold it in. I'll try to get some pics if all goes well. Why do the simple little jobs always turn into such a PITA?!

did they just start shipping these? I left a voicemail about this the other day, for either the sliders or a replacement set of plastic caps that I lost some time ago. Haven't received a response yet.

Will they just ship these to people who already ordered/received their bars?

After several monthes and many emails to Stephanie at 905, I finally got the sliders for the front crash bars that they promised in the group buy. She said you might need to grind out the paint inside the bar to get them to fit. I used a Dremmel sanding wheel and took off all the paint and it's still very tight. I drove it about 2/3 of the way in and then wondered about getting it off if you needed to remove the crash bar. :unsure: After lots of cussing and gouges from pliers and hammers I got it back out. :angry2: My next plan is to sand down the slider enough for a snug, but still removable, fit. Then drill and tap the bar for a small set screw to hold it in. I'll try to get some pics if all goes well. Why do the simple little jobs always turn into such a PITA?!

I lost the end caps on mine, and need to find some sort of replacement. Other than that I have no complaints. Wasn't counting on them to come through with the sliders the way things were going with them.

Is it possible for you to post up some pic's?

I like my 905 bars....... I had a set of sliders made of Delrin, conceptually similar to the Belgian rear sliders, and they feature a drilled hole right through for a bolt. The 1" dia end is about 1" long and fits inside the crash bars. I have a rubber bushing and flanged nut on the inside end, into which I screw a 3/8 stainless bolt from the outside. As you tighten the bolt, the rubber bushing expands and holds the slider in the tube. Very similar retaining system to various bar end weights you can buy. No need to drill your bars for set screws!

The visible portion of my sliders on the outside are 75mm long, 50 mm diameter, with aforementioned through hole and a 1" counterbore to accept the bolt and socket to snug it up. I would post a photo, but haven't figured out how to do that with photos that aren't on a website.

I haven't seen a photo of Racing905's sliders......... how far do they stick out?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm extremely pleased with mine as well.

As for the end caps, just stop by Home Depot and pick up some plastic 1" plug caps from the misc. hardware section.

I lost the end caps on mine, and need to find some sort of replacement. Other than that I have no complaints. Wasn't counting on them to come through with the sliders the way things were going with them.
There was supposed to be end cap's on those?

As for the end caps, just stop by Home Depot and pick up some plastic 1" plug caps from the misc. hardware section.
When my end caps got lost, I used that as an opportunity to fabricate some highway pegs. I used some PVC pipe and shaved the end to fit into the hole and put a bit of glue on it to make sure it held. I then used an old rubber handle grip and a painted PVC end cap. Now I've got some comfy hightay pegs. I'll have to take some pics. They will likely break off in a tipover, but the piece inside could be removed and put some new ones on again easily. No they don't drag or touch down in cornering either since too high up for that.

doctorj

did they just start shipping these? I left a voicemail about this the other day, for either the sliders or a replacement set of plastic caps that I lost some time ago. Haven't received a response yet.
Will they just ship these to people who already ordered/received their bars?

Not sure what their plan is. I think the squeeky wheel gets the grease and I squeeked long & loud!

I'll try to get pics up this weekend.

When my end caps got lost, I used that as an opportunity to fabricate some highway pegs. I used some PVC pipe and shaved the end to fit into the hole and put a bit of glue on it to make sure it held. I then used an old rubber handle grip and a painted PVC end cap. Now I've got some comfy hightay pegs. I'll have to take some pics. They will likely break off in a tipover, but the piece inside could be removed and put some new ones on again easily. No they don't drag or touch down in cornering either since too high up for that.

doctorj
When I was designing my sliders, I calculated (educated guess by holding a sheet of plywood up against the bike) the length of slider should be max 3" sticking out before it would be a factor in the corners. Mine haven't touched, but I have lightly touched down on the lower tube in a corner. As others have found it will touch down first.

Here's some pics of the slider install. The slider in the pics is the one I chewed up some trying to remove it. Even after grinding the paint out of the bar the fit was still tight so I sanded down the slider for a snug, removable fit. I didn't bother grinding the paint out on the other side, just turned down the slider a bit more. Then drilled and tapped a set screw hole in the bar. Also drilled into the slider about 1/4" so the set screw locates positively and is almost flush on the outside of the bar. Another method someone mentioned was drilling through the slider for a bolt and rubber sleeve like handle bar ends to hold the slider instead of my set screw method.

100_2168.jpg

100_2170.jpg

100_2171.jpg

100_2174.jpg

100_2175.jpg

100_2177.jpg

100_2178.jpg

100_2179.jpg

I am looking at adding a set of some sort of tip over/crash protection to the bike. After all of the issues with these, would you guys still recommend these or is there a better option to go with that I haven't found?

Thanks

I am looking at adding a set of some sort of tip over/crash protection to the bike. After all of the issues with these, would you guys still recommend these or is there a better option to go with that I haven't found?
Thanks
You should get them. Mine fit on fine. I like the look and dont think you can get any better tip-over protection. I'm not sure there is such a thing as 'crash-protection'. I havent installed the rears - they are huge and I dont like how they look.

I emailed Stephanie asking her to send me some sliders, and they are on the way. She mentioned they might need tweaking to get them to fit like C5INC stated. If you want 'em just ask.