90W or 65W ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbird

Reaction score
I'm going to be getting some heated clothing soon.

The jacket liners come in both 90W and 65W heat producing versions (Warm & Safe).

I know body heat regulation and comfort is subjective but I wondering if the 65W would be warm enough.

I'd rather draw 5.0 amps than 7.75 amps if I'd be comfortable with the lesser of the two.

Anybody tried both? Observations on the difference.

Anybody got the 65W version? Enough heat for you?

I ride mostly in the low 30s...but the mid 20s happen on occasion.

Thanks!!!

Regardless of the draw at "max", you could buy the 90 watt liner and run the heat troller on 50% (uhm...45 watts). It might be nice to have the ability to turn the liner up should you drop into a valley and the temps dip 10-15 degrees. Just keep an eye on the volt meter when running all of your electrical farkles (liner and lights).

I use another brand wired for the gloves separate and find that when I have the electrics turned on, the gloves are on 50%, or higher and the liner is on 25%, or so. YMMV.

I tried both. When Mike came out with the 65 Watt liner I traded my 90 watt in for it. After trying it out for a season I ended up going back to the 90 Watt because the 65 Watt IMO didn't produce enough heat.

I know body heat regulation and comfort is subjective but I wondering if the 65W would be warm enough.I'd rather draw 5.0 amps than 7.75 amps if I'd be comfortable with the lesser of the two.

Anybody tried both? Observations on the difference.

Anybody got the 65W version? Enough heat for you?
Tbird

I'm inclined to agree with Mike, its nice to know you have the capacity to crank up the wattage all the way when you feel cold. Mike also mentioned using a Heat Troller to regulate the wattage. Don't skimp on this, the jacket liner is rated at maximum load for maximum heat. If you just use a rheostat to regulate the heat you will always be burning 90+ watts.

The Heat Troller works different than a rheostat, it works by controlling on time vs. cycle time. If you turn the knob on 1/4 turn you will be at 25% on time (cycle time is approx. 1 second). That means for 75% of the cycle you are not drawing any power from the bikes charging system. Couple this with a Datel volt meter and you can juggle the power requirements for your various electrical farkles. If all you have is a jacket liner - no big deal, but if you have several heating elements (grips, seat, driver and passenger jacket liner & gloves) coupled with auxillary lighting, you can get into battery drainage real quick.

Go for the 90 Watt jacket liner and a Heat Troller.

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!

Three-for-Three for the higher heat.

Now I just gotta resist the temptation to be stupid and go against the unanimous choice.

90W it is.

I've got the Gerbing jacket liner in a full 'Stitch and heated gloves. It was 27F when I left the house this morning and for some reason I thought of this thread while riding nice and cozy.

Don't cheap-out on yourself or every minute you spend cold you'll regret the decision!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the Gerbing jacket liner in a full 'Stitch and gloves. It was 27F when I left the house this morning and for some reason I thought of this thread while riding nice and cozy.
Don't cheap-out on yourself or every minute you spend cold you'll regret the decision!

I've got the Gerbing jacket liner in a full 'Stitch and heated gloves. It was 27F when I left the house this morning and for some reason I thought of this thread while riding nice and cozy.

I think your computer's "paste" function has gone crazy!! :dribble: :dribble:

I have the 90W Warm and safe with the heat troller. Very seldom do I ever turn it all the way up, but it nice to know I can it needed.

I agree with all so far. With a Heat troller & 90 watt liner you can always turn it down if supply is a problem.
I love the search function in google. This is exactly what I needed to read to make a good decision. 90W it is for me also with warmsandsafe clothing. Got to watch the watts on my 1st gen. There is now a wireless controller available, they call it a remote. Thanks Johnny80 for the information also on this brand.

Any other comments on liners?

Ride well my friends. :fans:

Gen I wattage is generally only a problem if you run HID lights.

I've had no issues with my Gen I running 2 90w liners on full. Since I rarely (see: never) run my liner no full beyond the first few minutes to get it warmed up, that leaves power for heated grips, cell phone, GPS, etc.

Gen I wattage is generally only a problem if you run HID lights.
I've had no issues with my Gen I running 2 90w liners on full. Since I rarely (see: never) run my liner no full beyond the first few minutes to get it warmed up, that leaves power for heated grips, cell phone, GPS, etc.
Thanks Wanderer.