A beginner's shot at Farkling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince

Reaction score
Hi,

Being a new FJR owner and new at farkling it is very tempting to ask a zillion questions about what is best for this or that. However search works really well (as proof the very low number of posts i've done) but takes a lot of time.

So after finding so much information, here is my contribution: The 8 purchases i made, and why. Not all my searches are here, just the conclusions and the relevant threads when needed.

The bike i bought: 04 FJR with Givi trunk and handlebar risers

My use: daily commute with occasional long trips 1 and 2 up (several k miles, on several days)

1 - the Frame Sliders

Just because you can't go without them and you'll hate yourself at your first tipover if you don't.

Went for these Motovation ones because i don't have the heart to cut my fairing. A lot of other options are available, just pick one.

2 - Tire repair kit

Same, you might need it one day. This one from the Aerostich catalog will do the trick and it fits under the seat along with the toolset and a tire pressure gauge

3 - Helmet holder

Lots of posts about this. A cable lock around the rack does the trick, but for the days you need the cable for your gear, you can get the one from FJReady found in this thread. Doesn't work with 2 helmets.

4 - Passenger peg extensions

If you care about the comfort of your better half these extensions from MotorcycleLarry work like a charm if you add the shield protectors that go with it.

5 - Grip puppies

At $8 you can't really go wrong with these. They make the handles a little thicker, softer and comfortable. (Note that according to some threads they also seem to block some of the heat if you have heated grips)

6- Tank bag

Bought the Fieldsheer Eiffel II for the long tours and being able to use it as a backpack once we stop.

I got most of the information out of this thread.

7 - Touring windshield

After reading a lot of posts it seemed that the most praised windshield for protection of you and your pillion is the VStream. I am not sure it really creates a complete bubble around your passenger at 80mph but it improves the situation a lot.

8 - For the windshield: Skyway's spacers

Everybody raved about them since they reduce back pressure and lower the windshield so it doesn't obstruct the view as much. Never tried the VStream without them but i'm pretty happy with the combination.

All the information is in this thread.

Looking forward to buy:

1 - heated grips: this is a good thread on the topic

2 - Pacsafe packing bag: looks convenient for leaving the gear on your bike for a hike during a long trip... but pricey...

I hope this will help someone as much as this forum helped me, but minimizing the number of searches :)

Cheers,

Vince

Very nice job posting up the links Vince, I'm absolutely sure its going to help some of the new guys out. :good: