A conversation about heated gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.paul

Reaction score
Andrew: cool3:22 PM wow

3:23 PM caponord for $5K

me: lolololol

so anyway

um, warm 'n safe gloves

i'm buyin some

3:24 PM they're not insulated at all, just heated

Andrew: yikes

link?

me: https://www.warmnsafe.com/

Andrew: yeah, found 'em

me: https://www.digitalprovisions.com/Merchant2..._Code=WNSGLOVES

Andrew: I dono how I feel about heated gear anymoney

*anymore

the gloves are a pain to plug in

me: that's because you're picky

Andrew: lol

me: i doubt that

Andrew: as one should be

3:34 PM lol

guy with gloves says "they are"

me: how hard could it really be to plug them in

Andrew: guy without says "probably not"

hmm...

you're trying to manuever a cable, and two plug ends with one hand

it's a pain

me: ????

Andrew: in a gloved hand, none the less

me: plug them in before you put them on?

Andrew: you want 6 inches of cable hanging out your sleeve?

if the harness is even that long

you need a heated vest for those, anyway

So my question is this, are they really a pain to plug in or is andrew being a crazy.

So my question is this, are they really a pain to plug in or is andrew being a crazy.
If you think that plugs only are just going to magically plug in to something existing already on your bike....then they'll be a pain to you.

Going electric piecemeal isn't exactly a plug-n-play option. Electrics are great, but to be really effective one has to install, wire, and supply current to them. You could cheese something together something directly from their battery and let it hang out of the way relatively easily.

Others run wires, install relays, Jastek Powerlet plugs, and electronic controllers to jackets that then easily plug into the gloves. Not super difficult, makes a great winter project, and means you don't have to go back and fix your fumunda cheese later on.

The bonus of having a decent plug is that you can also use it to power a compressor...unlike the woefully underamped stock connector on Gen IIs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess i was kinda unspecific. I am planning/prepared to go the spendy route to get heated gear. Andrew was just saying that plugging in the gloves are a PITA, I disagree with him. I don't think it can be that much of a PITA.

I guess i was kinda unspecific. I am planning/prepared to go the spendy route to get heated gear. Andrew was just saying that plugging in the gloves are a PITA, I disagree with him. I don't think it can be that much of a PITA.
You've got two 1/4" coaxial connectors coming out of the gloves. You know specifically where you're going to route wire, splice, and power those things? Assuming you're not running up your arms you're sure something won't snag the wires or that you'll be able to have full arm movement? You have a plan what to do when you get off the bike and forget you've had those things plugged in? I guarantee you'll forget at least once and pull on a wire...what will happen when you do?

Getting the things to warm up isn't hard...that's easy. Just don't underestimate all the other stuff.

The Gloves go best with a liner or vest/w sleeves attached.

The Gerbings combo does hang out of the liner sleeves by 4 inches or so... Are they a pain? sometimes inconvenient but it's not like it's hard...

They are long enough that you can plug them in and put your hands in them. At least the Big Gerbings gloves that I have are, and the gauntlet is plenty big enough to cover any cord that hangs out.

I do like the warmth they provide.

Gunny.

I've got the older version Warm-n-safe, plug them into the liner plugs before you pull them on. Gauntlet or jacket sleeves covers any excess cable. Not a PITA from my perspective, especially given the alternative (freezing hands).

I have the Gerbing heated jacket liner, gloves and socks and have been using them for over five years. I can ride in temps below 32F with just the jacket liner under my Joe Rocket and the gloves. Yes, you do have to plug the gloves in but it's not that hard. Nothing like warm fingers (and toes -- when it gets really cold I use the socks).

I prefer heated gloves to heated grips because they get the head to the front and outside of your hands where the wind is hitting them.

I have the Gerbings jacket liner, pants and gloves. Wouldn't be without them. Yeah, it takes an extra 2 or 3 minutes getting dressed, but to be warm all day makes it truly worth it. I love riding in the cold, but I hate being cold.

It's not hard to plug in the gloves. You do have to remember to grab the glove plugs that are mounted on the jacket sleeve before you put on your riding jacket or the wires end up half way up your arm where you can't get at them. Then take the jacket sleeve plug in your hand, plug in the glove with the other hand, put the glove about half way on and tuck the extra wire up your riding coat sleeve and pull the glove the rest of the way on. If you order a 2 zone jacket and instal a dual temp controller, one zone will control the gloves and pants, the other will control the jacket. When I first realized how it was wired it didn't seem like the best way to wire this thing, but it turns out it works really good. On a very cold day you will end up with the pants and gloves on "Full Heat" and the jacket on about half. Works good.

The only thing left to the cold will be your neck and chin, and a balaclava will take care of that.

100% what S76 said.

I have both the gloves and heated grips - if it's cold enough to need the gloves, the gloves are worth every cent and the few seconds of extra fiddling. You'll develop your own one-handed technique for putting together the glove plugs.

Wherever you put the controller, make sure that you can see and move the knobs with the gloves on. Sounds stupid, but the gloves are pretty bulky and the knobs are fairly small.

Bob