a few questions.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingz06

Reaction score
1. Can the givi boxes be removed to take inside when traveling? Givi could not answer the dealer today! He couldn't believe they did not know. I read a thread that a owner likes the yami ones cuz you can take off bike.

2. Dealer wants $670 for the 4 year yami warranty. He says to go with the Zurrick warranty for the same cost. Better since it has bike loaner, etc. Thoughts on price?

3. First service he says is at 600 miles and costs about $250. He says i can pre-pay for $180. Thoughts?

4. Gel yami seat. I have researched this forum about seats. Anyone have the yami seat? Like it/hate it?

Thanks guys. I pick the bike up Sat! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new bike.

1. Yes - and your dealer should have known this without having to ask.

2. $390 at D&H - no taxes. Buy the OEM waranty before buying third party.

3. Your dealer's crazy - do your own 1st service.

4. Can't answer, but my suggestion is that you ride the bike before you buy anything that affects the ergonomics. Then, after a couple of thousand miles you decide if you need to make any changes.

I've got lots of Farkles on my ride, but NONE of them are ergonomic.

My dealer quoted me around $1,000 for the YES warranty, then when I laughed in his face

he then told me that YES is inferior and they'd sell me some other company's program

that was better AND cheaper.

Then they tried to sell me a Pre-Paid service program, for only $1,600 I could have all my regular

services provided for 3 years. I said, Uh...well... No.

I was still snickering when I walked out - with no warranty and no service program.

I'm calling D&H this week.

What Bramfrank said, exception I paid for my first service from a *reputable* and I already *knew* the quality of work the tech provided.

What Bramfrank said, exception I paid for my first service from a *reputable* and I already *knew* the quality of work the tech provided.

what is really done at first service anyways? I'm calling D & H unless he will match it.

My dealer quoted me around $1,000 for the YES warranty, then when I laughed in his face he then told me that YES is inferior and they'd sell me some other company's program

that was better AND cheaper.

Then they tried to sell me a Pre-Paid service program, for only $1,600 I could have all my regular

services provided for 3 years. I said, Uh...well... No.

I was still snickering when I walked out - with no warranty and no service program.

I'm calling D&H this week.
Mine recent experience sounds similar

• offered me a 3rd party warranty, $600 - no thanks (I'll call D&H after I finish thinking it over)
  • offered me a pre-paid service plan, $1,000 - no thanks (I like doing my own work and with the help here, I should be able to handle most and have money left over!)

They quoted my $163 for 1st service - I'll probably let them do that one....

1. Can the givi boxes be removed to take inside when traveling? Givi could not answer the dealer today! He couldn't believe they did not know. I read a thread that a owner likes the yami ones cuz you can take off bike.
2. Dealer wants $670 for the 4 year yami warranty. He says to go with the Zurrick warranty for the same cost. Better since it has bike loaner, etc. Thoughts on price?

3. First service he says is at 600 miles and costs about $250. He says i can pre-pay for $180. Thoughts?

4. Gel yami seat. I have researched this forum about seats. Anyone have the yami seat? Like it/hate it?

Thanks guys. I pick the bike up Sat! :yahoo:
You should have no problem finding an extended warranty for under $500. and, I hope you recognize that you don't have to buy the warranty from the dealer that might work on your bike any dealer should honor a warranty purchased from any other dealer. I was quote $180 for a 600 mile service on a new Road Star I purchased shortly before adding my used '07 FJR. When I asked what it consisted of I was told an oil change followed by a bunch of checks of various torques - the obvious ones being those nuts holding your wheels and handlebar/triple clamps on. It is not required that a Yamaha dealer do it. Some have suggested keeping receipts for the oil you purchased if you change it yourself.

Yes on the Givi removal. It's a quick release mounting plate.

Get the YES from D&H. I've used it a few times. Good, cheap insurance.

First service - There are a couple of things here. IF the dealer does all the re-torquing and a throttle body sync, it's worth it. Also, there have been some stripped out oil drain plugs, if it happens at the dealer, it's a non-problem for you to get a new oil pan for free. If it happens in your garage, it can be more of a hassle. Pay for the first service imho, but get a list of what they are doing too. Then do the rest of the work yourself in the future.

The Yami seat is a Corbin. Some love them, most don't. I'd suggest you wait on that. A full custom seat can be had for $450 or so and is a huge improvement over anything just bought off the shelf.