A significant improvement in braking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobias

Reaction score
After installing the Spiegler group sale brake pads, I felt a reduction in rear braking performance. The front Carbone Lorraine SBK3 pads improved the braking but the RX rear pads they provided (free) left much to be desired.

For some reason, Carbone Lorrain believes the rear brakes must be prevented from locking up, thus saving us from our own stupidity.

This does not hold true with ABS and those of us that ride two up.

I have just installed the EBC double H rear pads that has the same material EBC uses in their front brake pads.

The difference in stopping power is amazing. I can now activate the rear ABS without much effort while riding solo. I could never do that with the Carbone Lorrain RX pads, no matter how hard I stomped the brakes.

A few months ago I hit a deer and said that if I could have stopped a few feet shorter, I wouldn't have hit it at all.....I have no doubts that these EBC double H rear pads would have prevented that collision and the resulting cost.

dobias <_<

Intersting indeed.

Still, the RX pads sound like just the thing for me then. I find it waaaaay to easy to lock up the rear wheel on my non-abs fjr. Wish I had a dollar for every time that I have done so. I would welcome something that makes it harder to lock it up.

Weird.

I find the rear kicks into ABS just fine with my pads from the Spieglers. I can't say that I notice a difference when they grab vs. the stock pads, but I do find the brake line firmer and more predictable when ABS kicks in--more likely from the lines though.

Glad the new pads work for you.

Ignacio,

That's very interesting that you have the RX pads energizing the ABS. Are you a light weight? Or was it the SS lines you (apparently) installed at the same time?

I've yet to install my SS lines. That's one of my winter projects waiting to be done.

dobias <_<

Are you a light weight? Or was it the SS lines you (apparently) installed at the same time?
I'm the sveltest 6'4" 250 pound guy around ;)

I did install the SS lines at the same time and pad break in seemed after a few dozen decent stops. I dont' think the rear line made major changes in stopping ability. It just makes the point of lock-up more distinct and predictable.

When I had the calipers apart I cleaned the crap out of calipers, rotors, and hardware with brake cleaner to get all the dust off everything and used latex gloves when handling to make sure I didn't get a hint of grease or schmutz on the pads or rotor when reinstalling.

dobias, I recently installed the RX3 rear brake pads, no other mods. Just did a test ride and the rear ABS fires okay, but less sensitive than the stock pads, i.e. I have to press harder for them to fire. Okay with me, as I thought the stockers would fire way too easily. I'm not sure if this affects total stopping distance, but as long as ABS kicks in, I guess I'm getting 'max' performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the rear pads from the Spiegler purchase installed, but haven't put on my stainless lines yet (I'm a procrastinator, so sue me...). I can lock up the rear tire and engage the ABS with no effort whatsoever... not that I want to, but I can. Oh, and I am probably lighter than some, and heavier than others (190 lbs... ) and ride solo exclusively.

Last edited by a moderator: