ABS flashing + cruise quit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fljab

Reaction score
Be patient - long story - I'll tell it as systematically as I can! If you want to skip the sob story, the bottom line is, well, the bottom line.

OK, so in my never ending quest for yet another farkle on my bee-youtiful '09 I researched here and then built/installed a case for the back that will house my laptop. Well, more like I had my fabricator/welder guy that works on the side bend/weld/build an aluminum box to my drawing.

I had asked here about trailer lights because I installed multiple LED lights on the thing, had to do the 5 ot 4 wire hoppy converter + a bank of 4 relays, and even purchased, and then cut up an Admore harness. I even talked to them on the phone (Admore) when I was building the harness as they said the one I got won't work for what I want (unless you cut it up) but they sold one specifically for what I wanted to accomplish....jeesh, NOW I know!

So I get it all in - test the lights - every thing works OK - and my friend Jeff shows up from NW Territories Canada doing a 4 corners run and needed corner 3 aka Key West. I go to do the last assembly of the topcase and it doesn't fit! What's up with that I wonder, but as time is short I don't take it, curl up the harness under my aux tank, and head out.

We get on the road and when I hit my cruise (CCS-100 Audiovox), it doesn't work and my ABS light is flashing! Not a huge deal as I have a Throttlemeister backup + a wrist rest, but it's a PITA compared to a real cruise and it should work. I notice on the run down/back that when I stop/shut off, the light 'resets' and doesn't flash until I try and set the cruise again. So - AH-HA! - I think, it's somehow connected to the cruise.

I get home, go in and check power/continuity/anything I can think of, nothing I can find is wrong. So, I decide to back out of the changes I'd done. It's complicated - no, not my marriage/relationship - but I had done a fair amount of service/PM's the it in addition to the wiring mod including a new PR2 rear which coulda somehow fecked up the ABS sensor.

I decided to remove the Admore wiring harness AND while I was 'right there' wanted to change my diff & engine oil + change the air filter. I decided to run the bike in gear on the stand to warm it all up - now the ABS light is really, really pissed at me as now it's flashing all the time.

I go here, do some searches and find out that that is a no no, I mean really really a no no. I find multiple threads where it says that. Well, sheee-ite! And this time it won't reset, and on the test ride, it don't reset and the cruise still doesn't work. WTF big time now, really, WTF??? I can't seem to find the common link.

So, my puny mind starts to think of what all I did, and one of 'em was to put LED 1157's in my tail light, removing the stock factory filiment ones. I did a search, but could not find a specific thread on just that where it caused any problems, which the combination of my sub-standard computer search skills and the FJR Forum's search feature of not liking less than 4 letters (how else do ya spell 'led'???) and I couldn't come up with anything. There's something nagging in my brain that I can't quite grasp about the subject it seems I read, but can't bring it up.

I even started reading through the factory service manual but couldn't find anything about it specifically, and what I did find about the flashing light issue I didn't like.

So, yesterday I go in and take out the leds and put back in the filament stockers - it was later so waited until today to test ride - and now everything is OK! I mean, YEA! and WTF?? I sure would like the reliability of the leds, but I aint arguing with the japanese engineer fecker that designed all this unless I hear from some of you how to get around it.

Now, I'm gonna go ahead, see what was up with the fitment issue on the box I built and install my harness again - see if it likes that.........

So, long story short is ... LED 1157s IN YOUR TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY MESS UP THE ABS SYSTEM AND/OR THE WARNING LIGHT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
...the ABS light is really, really pissed at me as now it's flashing all the time...search skills and the FJR Forum's search feature of not liking less than 4 letters (how else do ya spell 'led'???) and I couldn't come up with anything...
About the flashing ABS light, it is mentioned in some detail in this thread: Test and Maintain Your ABS System

About the search limitations: Go to Google, in the search box type in LED 1157 site:fjrforum.com and you will get >30 hits. Use quotes and type in "LED 1157" site:fjrforum.com and you will get 5 hits with the specific phrase LED 1157 in that word order and spacing. Reverse the words and type in "1157 LED" site:fjrforum.com and you will get 6 different hits in that word order and spacing. Using the full " quotes lets you filter your results so that you don't have to sort through 3.89e6 pages looking for one nugget of info. This works for all search engines including the Forum.

Glad you got it figured out. Let me confirm that the LEDs did in fact cause your problem. You can use a relay to power the LEDs and the normal brake wire for your cruise control. Go search for..... :p :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
...the ABS light is really, really pissed at me as now it's flashing all the time...search skills and the FJR Forum's search feature of not liking less than 4 letters (how else do ya spell 'led'???) and I couldn't come up with anything...
About the flashing ABS light, it is mentioned in some detail in this thread: Test and Maintain Your ABS System

About the search limitations: Go to Google, in the search box type in LED 1157 site:fjrforum.com and you will get >30 hits. Use quotes and type in "LED 1157" site:fjrforum.com and you will get 5 hits with the specific phrase LED 1157 in that word order and spacing. Reverse the words and type in "1157 LED" site:fjrforum.com and you will get 6 different hits in that word order and spacing. Using the full " quotes lets you filter your results so that you don't have to sort through 3.89e6 pages looking for one nugget of info. This works for all search engines including the Forum.

Glad you got it figured out. Let me confirm that the LEDs did in fact cause your problem. You can use a relay to power the LEDs and the normal brake wire for your cruise control. Go search for..... :p :lol:
Thanks for the search tips!

On the relay - remember I'm talking about my regular tail light, not the box I was trying to add. I did do the relays for the top box LEDs, but I guess I could add another for the brake light; Let me study on that some.

For the cruise, yes, it's soldered into the brake light wire in the rear harness behind the left side tupperware/air filter access; I have some 40K miles on the setup. First thought was that I somehow broke the wire or similar when I added the Admore harness - but no - everything was all right. I can - sorta - understand why the ABS would malfunction, but the cruise?? That's got me, but all I know is it works w/o the LEDs so I'm keeping it that way unless wiser minds here come up with something practical. I'll just change them yearly or whenever I'm back there for something.