ABS light flashing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moondog

Reaction score
My ABS red light was flashing sporadicaly a while back, like about 3 or 4 moths ago. Now it stopped flashing and everything seems normal. I have an 05 FJR with less than 20,000 on the clock. I know I probably should have it checked out by my local mechanic, but I'm afraid what it will cost me. I am currently jobless. Anyone in a similar situation?

Go stab on the rear brake in a parking lot and see if ABS works. If it does....probably OK. If it doesn't....or starts flashing again....then probably not OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you know the ABS light will start flashing if you start the bike up while on the center stand and let it run in gear. This is simply because the ABS readings b/w the front and rear wheels are mismatching. This condition will clear as soon as you start riding. Is this possibly what caused the ABS light to come on before? If yes than there's nothing wrong with it. And of course you can like Iggy said just go to an empty parking lot and have some fun :)

My ABS red light was flashing sporadicaly a while back, like about 3 or 4 moths ago. Now it stopped flashing and everything seems normal. I have an 05 FJR with less than 20,000 on the clock. I know I probably should have it checked out by my local mechanic, but I'm afraid what it will cost me. I am currently jobless. Anyone in a similar situation?
Check your rear brake isn't binding - read through this topic. Note that non-YCC-S bikes don't throw an error code but do make the ABS light come on. Just lubricate the rear brake lever.

Mine flashes from time to time. It's usually when braking over choppy pavement (too common around here). The front and rear sensors show different speed, and bingo... ABS flash. Goes away after the bike is power cycled.

Also, I second the lubricate the brake lever comment. Some have even installed zerk fittings to make it easier. They can and will stick if not serviced occasionally.

Checking out the ABS codes is pretty simple. All you have to do is jumper two connections/pins on the ABS diagnostic plug and the display will give you the codes.

A steady, slow-blinking ABS light can come from prolonged riding on rough road conditions or occasional wheelies (even low ones). A burned out brake light bulb will cause the ABS light to blink slowly. There's lots of possibilities, just get the logged codes then decide.