ABS ?? on my 2006, Oners Manual

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TFlight

Reaction score
I did it! :yahoo:

I just bought a 2006 FJR. I rescued it from NY city so it can have a real life and the feel of the open road, twists and turns and gentle slopes of MD, VA, WV. I brought it home late last night and I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas because I'm now on a business trip and can't even ride it for 4 days. :angry: The guy I bought it from didn't ride it much. It only has 1,860mi total on it. 1,300 before instrument cluster and 530mi after and still has the original tiers on it. He says it doesn't have ABS but I'm not sure.

Question:

1) ABS??: Previous owner said it doesn't have ABS Brakes. The instrument panel shows ABS in red when the key is first turned on and it looks like there are rotation pickup sensors on the front and back wheel. Having not ridden it yet other then test ride in the city is there a way to tell if it is ABS equipped.

2) Does any one have an extra owners manual they don't need or know the best place to get one (dealer? or after market)

TFlight

Last edited by a moderator:
I rescued it from NY city so it can have a real life and the feel of the open road, twists and turns and genital slopes of MD, VA, WV.
So you ride naked?

Sounds like the previous owner didn't know anything about his bike. ABS is standard on all 2006+ FJRs. Unless he removed the ABS system, it has ABS. Or maybe it's not really a 2006? Just slam on the rear brake and you'll find out quick.

I did it! :yahoo: I just bought a 2006 FJR. I rescued it from NY city so it can have a real life and the feel of the open road, twists and turns and genital slopes of MD, VA, WV. I brought it home late last night and I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas because I'm now on a business trip and can't even ride it for 4 days. :angry: The guy I bought it from didn't ride it much. It only has 1,860mi total on it. 1,300 before instrument cluster and 530mi after and still has the original tiers on it. He says it doesn't have ABS but I'm not sure.

Question:

1) ABS??: Previous owner said it doesn't have ABS Brakes. The instrument panel shows ABS in red when the key is first turned on and it looks like there are rotation pickup sensors on the front and back wheel. Having not ridden it yet other then test ride in the city is there a way to tell if it is ABS equipped.

2) Does any one have an extra owners manual they don't need or know the best place to get one (dealer? or after market)

TFlight

For an owner's manual, get the online owner's manual at the Yamaha motorcycle site.

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/myyamaha.../starthere.aspx

You may have to fill out a form for "My Yamaha", there is no cost. Welcome to the best site around for the FJR.

ABS is standard equipment on GenII FJR's. So, yes, you have ABS.

You can download an owners manual for free from Yamaha.

edit: bikerjim beat me to it !

Last edited by a moderator:
I rescued it from NY city so it can have a real life and the feel of the open road, twists and turns and genital slopes of MD, VA, WV.
So you ride naked?

Sounds like the previous owner didn't know anything about his bike. ABS is standard on all 2006+ FJRs. Unless he removed the ABS system, it has ABS. Or maybe it's not really a 2006? Just slam on the rear brake and you'll find out quick.

Nice catch spell check. That does bring to mind another problem. My junk getting sat on and having to rearrange but I'll save that for later.

No the guy didn’t ride much, he says he has been in Greece for 2 yrs and the bike is still sitting on the trailer until I get back from work in 3days.

Thanks for the info

ABS is standard equipment on GenII FJR's. So, yes, you have ABS.
You can download an owners manual for free from Yamaha.

edit: bikerjim beat me to it !

Thanks that's what I was hopping to hear about the ABS. I check out Yamaha for the manual too.

I did it! :yahoo: I just bought a 2006 FJR. I rescued it from NY city so it can have a real life and the feel of the open road, twists and turns and genital slopes of MD, VA, WV. I brought it home late last night and I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas because I'm now on a business trip and can't even ride it for 4 days. :angry: The guy I bought it from didn't ride it much. It only has 1,860mi total on it. 1,300 before instrument cluster and 530mi after and still has the original tiers on it. He says it doesn't have ABS but I'm not sure.

Question:

TFlight

For an owner's manual, get the online owner's manual at the Yamaha motorcycle site.

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/myyamaha.../starthere.aspx

You may have to fill out a form for "My Yamaha", there is no cost. Welcome to the best site around for the FJR.
I'll check it out Thanks. This Forum is great but I'm still learning how to use it, thanks all :clapping:

Nice find!

There may be some more recalls on that bike.

Ignition switch

Yamaha top case, if you have one.

ECU recall.

And wiring harness, no, wait, that isn't a recall, yet.

"Bin of facts" for 2006 on this site has the details

I had my local dealer check the vin # before I bought it. He told me the main sw & has not been complied with and a service bulletin for air pressure or mixture I think he said maybe that's the ECU ur talking about. Thanks for the feedback

Nice find!
There may be some more recalls on that bike.

Ignition switch

Yamaha top case, if you have one.

ECU recall.

And wiring harness, no, wait, that isn't a recall, yet.

"Bin of facts" for 2006 on this site has the details

Make sure you get the recalls completed. The ignition switch issue has left some folks stranded and potentially could cause the bike to quit / stall at the most inconvenient time. ECU replacement will eliminate the risk of surging and the 'altitude sickness' with rapid elevation change and lazy throttle. There are pinned topics in the Tech. / Mech. Problems forum section that will explain most any question that may come up.

Congrats on the *new* ride.

--G