accesory outlet on '08 ae

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutter

Reaction score
I'm looking to wire up radar using the accesory outlet, buried in the glove box, I've pulled the panel , but so far been unable to get at the plug/outlet . Has anyone found a more convinent place to tap into the electrical system that doesn't require dismantling half the plastic on this bike ?? :angry2:

do yourself a favor and install either a fuzeblock or a Bluesea fuseblock, you will find down the road that you will be glad you did.

R

The accessory circuit (cigarette lighter plug) is a perfectly viable circuit for your purpose. It is relay controlled and fused at 3 amps.

Do yourself a favor and remove the lower left side panel. It's very easy, only takes about 20 minutes and gives you oodles of access to all that left side wiring. Don't bother with the A,B,C,D panels because they don't give you very much visible access to what you are after.

You can elect to either parallel to the cig lighter socket, or disconnect from that socket and use it exclusively for your alternate purpose.

That circuit will easily power a radar detector and GPS. I highly recommend wiring to some type of connector that terminates near the handlebars, then matching from that connector to your various up-front devices. It keeps you from having to go all the way back into the fairing to disconnect for servicing.

do yourself a favor and install either a fuzeblock or a Bluesea fuseblock, you will find down the road that you will be glad you did.
R
+1 on giving yourself hot and switched power connections. For example, if you want to throw the bike on a battery tender, that 3A accessory outlet probably won't cut it. Adding radios, lights, horns, or any other farkles will also be a LOT easier down the road.

While a formal fuseblock like those Fairlaner recommended would be worth it, a lot of folks have come up with simpler alternatives from Home Depot and Radio Shack.

R
+1 on giving yourself hot and switched power connections. For example, if you want to throw the bike on a battery tender, that 3A accessory outlet probably won't cut it. Adding radios, lights, horns, or any other farkles will also be a LOT easier down the road.

While a formal fuseblock like those Fairlaner recommended would be worth it, a lot of folks have come up with simpler alternatives from Home Depot and Radio Shack.
I went the Radio Shack direction shown here. Directly from the battery to a fuse then to a barrier strip under the seat. Two full seasons of riding in a variety of weather and climates without fail :)

I would not dispute that a BlueSea block would be the cat's meow...I'm just cheap.