Action cameras and falling prices.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joker

Reaction score
If you're into filming your rides, here are two alternatives to regular video cameras.

They're both on clearance at WorstBuy, so at these prices, even if you lose one, it's not that big of a deal
smile.png

Contour Roam2 $100:

black https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ROAM2+Action+HD+Camcorder/6498756.p?id=1218747955017&skuId=6498756&st=contour%20roam%202&cp=1&lp=1

red https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ROAM2+Action+HD+Camcorder/6896354.p?id=1218811216615&skuId=6896354&st=contour%20roam%202&cp=1&lp=2

blue https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ROAM2+Action+HD+Camcorder/6896818.p?id=1218811214919&skuId=6896818&st=contour%20roam%202&cp=1&lp=3

Drift Innovations $50: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/Drift+Innovation+-+HD720+Action+Camera+HD+Flash+Memory+Camcorder+-+Black/6916507.p?id=1218813791100&skuId=6916507

The biggest advantage of Contour is that, if mounted on the helmet or somewhere nearby, you can turn it on/off without looking, since there's a big slide switch on top.

Drift drawback is that, you need to use the remote control for on/off functions. The on/off button is too small to use by touch/gloves. But that's also an advantage - you can mount it anywhere and still be able to turn it on and off by mounting the remote on the handlebar, for example. Another option might be to glue a piece of plastic to the on/off button, so that it sticks out more than the other 3.
smile.png

P.S. I heard Contour is going out of business, so warranty support may be questionable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I would think that Contour prices should drop since they shut down. I wonder if another manufacturer might pick them up? I like the form factor of the Contour, so I have been looking at the Replay as another option. GoPro seems to be the Apple of the adventure camera genre, and with the TeleTubby look, makes me want to avoid it.

With an upcoming trip to the mountains with leaves changing, I'll need to choose one fairly soon.

I've used mine (Contour HD) for the past 2 years and am very happy with it. While it will not produce broadcast-quality footage, it's good enough to watch on any device and the TV as well. I also like the form factor and the big slide switch that can be used with gloves.

Don't like the way GoPro looks and that it's expensive. Otherwise also a fine camera.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks for the info! I've been looking for one lately and just pulled the trigger on the Drift HD720. Looks like it takes decent video and for $50, how can you go wrong?

Contour isn't going out of business, they have laid off their staff and closed their doors. They ARE out of business.

I bit on the Contour Roam 2 at Best Buy. It was still Marked 199.99 on the shelf. I told the guy it was on sale and he was surprised it was that cheap. It was the only one my local store had. Other stores listed it out of stock or to store in 5 days or something.

I have not run any footage but will today.

I have to say it is a nice piece of equipment just the way it is built. I put a 32 GB card in it and called it a day.

For 100 bucks it is a nice introduction into this format of media for me. I have wanted one but the cost always kept me out of this technology. So we will see how it works and holds up.

The software is nothing special but will do the job. I carry a net book everywhere for my PC V so viewing and playing with setting it up on the road will be no issue.

Thank you for the heads up on this and will be playing with it for a bit and report back, hell maybe post a video.................

I had a early Contour HD and also 2 GoPro HDs, the mounting options and still shot, time-lapse, and multiple video modes made the GoPro a clear winner in my experience. I also didn't like the fact it wasn't waterproof in case I hit a rain squall or sprinkle.

But, for $100 it's hard to complain.... hope you enjoy it!

I had a early Contour HD and also 2 GoPro HDs, the mounting options and still shot, time-lapse, and multiple video modes made the GoPro a clear winner in my experience. I also didn't like the fact it wasn't waterproof in case I hit a rain squall or sprinkle. But, for $100 it's hard to complain.... hope you enjoy it!
The Contour Roam 2 is in fact waterproof. The roam was not. I have all of those options you mentioned and at 60 fps if I choose to. It is a a good 100 dollars spent for me. Again thanks to the OP for the heads up.

Glad to be of help.

I've owned a ContourRoam for the past couple years and use it pretty often. I like quality of the video it takes, the ease of use and the way it's built.

Bought the Roam2 now and am planning on mounting it to the Canyon Cage for an alternate-angle view.

BTW, not sure about their waterproofing (1 meter rating, I believe), but should be ok for an occasional shower.

I had a early Contour HD and also 2 GoPro HDs, the mounting options and still shot, time-lapse, and multiple video modes made the GoPro a clear winner in my experience. I also didn't like the fact it wasn't waterproof in case I hit a rain squall or sprinkle. But, for $100 it's hard to complain.... hope you enjoy it!
The Contour Roam 2 is in fact waterproof. The roam was not. I have all of those options you mentioned and at 60 fps if I choose to. It is a a good 100 dollars spent for me. Again thanks to the OP for the heads up.
I stand corrected... thanks for the heads-up! Then your $100 was double-black roulette win... the Roam 2 has come a long way from my early release model. You have a pretty good variety of mounts that came with yours? I did a mud run 5K with my Contour and it got knocked off my helmet, the mounting base was still on the camera and helmet... it just broke in the middle. They probably have strengthened those too in the last few years.

Best of luck with your cam!

P.S. This is the camera I had, and the mount that I hated with a passion. I guess it wasn't even a Roam, just a ContourHD

The Contour Roam is also waterproof.

From ROAM's user manual -

The ContourROAM is designed to be waterproof to protect the electronics from the ingress of water. It can be immersed in up to 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

In fact, the Roam and Roam2 are identical in almost all respects. Major Differences - A "lock switch" on the Camera On/Off Slide switch (to prevent accidental switch ONs) , a bigger "Format" button, and 60fps recording in 720p mode

The 60fps option used to be available with an old firmware (v1.02) on the ROAM, but they nixed it in all newer firmwares.

Now, the best option for the ROAM is to flash it with the ROAM2 firmware, and voila.....

I have done this successfully.

btw, Amazon has the ROAM with a Waterproof case for $104

Latest posts