Adjustable Middle Fairing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamx

Reaction score
I notice warm air or engine heat on my legs from my new 09, not bad now but when things heat up I would like to direct it away if possible.

In reading what I can find about this it sounds like opening the faring will push the warm air out a little maybe making it cooler for me? Am I reading this correct?

Adjustable Middle Fairing:

Allows warm air to be directed on or away from the rider.

Highly debated as to which position is for summer and winter, the bottom line is that it does not make anything cooler.

The adjustable middle fairings changes the direction of the warm air, but does not reduce heat.

In th 'In' position, the stream of warm air is closer to the FJR, and with the 'Out' position, the stream is about 2-3" farther away from the FJR at the rider's peg

OK here's my .02 worth. I ride with the side panels closed allowing more air to cool my legs in the summer or warm riding season. I open the side panels in the winter which to me directs the cold air further away from my legs. You try it and see for yourself. I just don't see how it could be any other way.

:yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK here's my .02 worth. I ride with the side panels closed allowing more air to cool my legs in the summer or warm riding season. I open the side panels in the winter which to me directs the cold air further away from my legs. You try it and see for yourself. I just don't see how it could be any other way. :yahoo:
Thanks that the way I understood it but after reading what I had posted I was totally confussed.

And here's my .02 worth. I leave them in the "out" position all the time. I reckon that in the mid-range temperatures we do most of our riding in, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference either way. In really cold weather, it keeps the wind off my legs reducing the wind chill factor. In the really hot weather, it keeps the engine-heated air off my legs and I'm cooler.

And then I don't have to think about whether I want them in or out on each ride. Simpler that way.

Downside is if you drop your bike. The panels in the "out" position might not be protected by your sliders.

Just don't ride too fast with it open... I now ride with my right one closed at all times and my left one missing. :(

I lost my right one a month or so back, and it was closed. Not sure I had it in the hinge correctly, but it was ~$80 to replace (correct name is Visor per Yamaha). Mine blew off in 120 mph winds (some hurricane!).

I've found here in So Cal that leaving them OPEN all the time seems to be the best position for me. When it's cool (I just can't type cold) out it keeps the air off of my legs and when it's hot out I feel that it lets the engine run a little cooler which produces less heat. My 08 is always at or above 5 bars on the gauge in or out of traffic. So anything that help engine cooling works for me.

You think you've got heat on your Gen2? Go ride a Honda ST1300 and find out what toasted shins are really like.

My $.02: if there is this much debate on the in-or-out position, it can't make much difference. Which I believe is true.

pete

(If you ride with one in and one out, do you go in circles?) :blink:

I have always left mine in because I dont like the look when they are out. What I did notice while riding in the warmer weather was that if I ride with my feildsheer dragging jeans on I feel the burn but if I ride with my textile riding pants on I dont notice the heat that much. I really only wear the jeans for riding around town and doing errands I dont wear them to much when out for a real ride.

Out for the cool stuff, in for the warm stuff. I get more airflow when in. The only time I get heat is when I'm stopped and the heat accumulates in the fairing. When you take off, you get a blast of heat for a short distance. I had an ST1300, and yes, they get hot. Betcha don't want a pre-2010 Connie!!!

OK here's my .02 worth. I ride with the side panels closed allowing more air to cool my legs in the summer or warm riding season. I open the side panels in the winter which to me directs the cold air further away from my legs. You try it and see for yourself. I just don't see how it could be any other way. :yahoo:
:D +1

This was my take on this issue:

QUOTE (mcatrophy @ Dec 6 2009, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All the side panels do is divert outside air away from the rider. When stopped (assuming no wind), they do virtually nothing, even with the cooling fan running (I stand to be corrected on this, it's rare my fan comes on here in the
cold.gif
UK).

So, if the ambient temperature is very hot, panels out will make you feel less hot.

If the temperature is very cold, panels out will make you feel less cold.

If you're stuck in traffic, it doesn't make any difference (caveat on possible cooling fan effect).

So, whether or not they make you feel warmer or colder when they're out depends on the weather.

Personally, I always leave them in; I agree with fastpappy, the bike looks 'orrible with them out, and to keep moving them will weaken those nasty spring hinge things:
[SIZE=8pt](click on image for larger view)[/SIZE]

And as Capt. Bob and ShinyPartsUp say, that would risk the wings flying off
bye.gif
(Taken from this thread)

Last edited by a moderator: