Adjusting auxilliary driving lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportynow

Reaction score
Hi All, I've been browsing this forum and others like it for answers and ideas since I switched from touring bikes to a sport-tourer('07 FJR). Great info!! So now I have ordered the Comagination headlight modulator, bought a pair of Silverstar 9003st, and order brackets for FF50's from Garauld( haven't ordered the lights yet) Is this overkill? and this question may have been answered somewhere else but how high should the FF50's be adjusted? And are they only used when there's no traffic? Most of my previous riding has been during daylight on the superslabs using low beams.

Thanks in advance for your patience and answers!

My FF50's are tied into my high beams via a relay, and are adjusted for maximum visibility. I only use them when there's no oncomming traffic at night. Really makes a difference.

I wouldn't use them with oncoming traffic...and didn't when I had them. It's like doubling your high beams.

I would adjust them out in and open area you might ride at night. Maybe take a couple towels with you to cover your lights so it's easier to isolate. Adjust them so they match what you like.

Overkill? That's extremely subjective. To a person with stock headlights...it's double the photons...which might be overkill to some. Others like myself have Hella FF200 HID and low beam conversions that throw out six times the lumens of stock....and they're just about right. ;)

I have had my ff50's on for about 2.5 weeks and I will say it is great to see mr. (or mrs.) deer's eyes shine off the edges of the road. I did just what 'nacio suggested. Deserted road and with wrenches in hand made sure enough of the road ahead and to sides were illuminated. I didn't try towel trick, but that sounds like a good idea. Overkill, for me definately not, but when switching back to low beams, eyes need just enough time to adjust that lows seem to be lacking. Nice 80.00 lights.

You can't have too might light, so it is not overkill.

I keep my FF50s pointed high and wide to watch the shoulder on both sides for critters. I have them wired to go on with the high beams, but I also have the Hella switch in series so I can run high beams without the Hellas. On weekends during the summer, when there are lots of tourists are out on the local roads, I sometimes run with the high beams and Hellas on during the day to make sure they see me. I know it gets their attention because some of them flash their lights at me.

You can't have too much light, so it is not overkill.
Truer word have never been typed. Once you ride with really good aux lighting you'll never go back.

I keep my FF50s pointed high and wide to watch the shoulder on both sides for critters.
Aiming aux lights off to the sides a bit is a common practice but when you lean down into a corner one light is pointed off into the sky and the other down into the ground. Try aiming the left light off to the right side and the right light off to the left so they are crisscrossing each other. This will help keep the aux lighting more effective when cornering.

Well Alright! Thanks for your replies.! I'll put my order in now for them (FF50s). So hopefully everything will be installed by next weekend-will try to post pics.

This is a great forum!

Aiming aux lights off to the sides a bit is a common practice but when you lean down into a corner one light is pointed off into the sky and the other down into the ground. Try aiming the left light off to the right side and the right light off to the left so they are crisscrossing each other. This will help keep the aux lighting more effective when cornering.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Latest posts