Adjusting sag?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starwars6651

Reaction score
Hi. I am new at having an adjustable suspension. What is the correct amount of sag for an 09 FJR and how do I adjust it?

2nd question. I know which nut controls the front preload, my question is how do I get it to turn?

3rd question. What is the powerband on the 09 FJR?

Thanks.

John

El Reno, OK

:clapping: Welcome to the forum. :clapping:

One assumes you DID read all the resources listed when you joined the forum. If not, there is an excellent section called "Suspension" about 1/2 way down the page on this thread: '06-'09 Bin-O-Facts. There is some excellent advice and specific suggestions there from knowledgeable experienced owners.

One could also use the Google search method:

rebound adjustment site:fjrforum.com

compression adjustment site: fjrforum.com

sag adjustment site:fjrforum.com

Erm...the owners manual also explains how to make adjustments to the forks, BUT....

On top of the forks is a black knob (rebound adjuster)), directly under that black knob is a 17mm hex head. That is the preload adjustment. Turning it righty-tighty increases pressure on the fork springs and one measures the amount of adjustment by the rings showing below that adjustment casting.

Do not turn the larger hex at the top of the triple clamp. That is the access for removing the entire front fork spring/valve assembly and is used to disassemble the fork for fluid change/fork spring replacement.

Good luck.

Power band?

Were you looking for this dyno chart I found in the '03-'05 Bin O' Facts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Google ROCKS!

Check this out. Then put "sag" in the search field and attain enlightenment! Luckily, the sag adjustment is in the preview part of the book, but I'd recommend buying it anyway, as it's all good knowledge.