Adjusting Seat, Handlebars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRFlier

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I just picked up a new 08A a few days ago and have yet to get my owners manual from the dealer but from my readings here I gather that the seat and handlebars have two positions. How do I go about adjusting these? Love the bike just need to tweak the comfort factor a bit.

Thanks!

Hi everybody! I just picked up a new 08A a few days ago and have yet to get my owners manual from the dealer but from my readings here I gather that the seat and handlebars have two positions. How do I go about adjusting these? Love the bike just need to tweak the comfort factor a bit.
Thanks!

I believe both or at least one of Canada or US Yamaha sites have manuals that you can go through with all the cute pic's. I not trying to be an ass but my direction's would be just a bit off no doubt. IMHO,.. the Two positions for the stock seat and stock handle bar risers are #1 On the bike and #2 In the corner of the garage after you have finally decided to order a Heli and the custom seat of you'r choice.

Cheers

DB

Seat has two positions, High and Low. Key in seat release. Remove pillion. Flip lever and remove rider seat. (From rear on left underside of seat.) There is a black plastic bracket with either H and L or on arrow on it (Don't remember which right now). Attached by grommets at the rear. Pull up..pivots in front. Move so the H or the L matches up to the arrow...black bracket slides fore and aft. Push back down into holes until you get a soft click and it's level again.

Now on the front of the seat compartment at the rear of the tank is a "slot." It has a plastic "door" or "spacer." Pull it out straight back. Replace it in either the upper or lower slot depending on if you are raising or lowering. Replace seats, remove key and you're good to go.

The handlebar has 3 positions. (There is a thread on here somewhere with pictures that will make it easier to see what you're doing.)

Uncap the access covers. You'll see two bolts and two nuts. Loosen the nuts and remove the bolts. Both handlebars can be lifted straight up together as a unit. Look underneath the handlebars at the tree. You'll see some cute little pins..they reside in some holes..three on each side fore and aft. Raise the handlebars so the pins clear the tree. Slide the handlebars fore or aft together. Slide the pins into the new holes, set and retighten and torque. Mine from the factory were in the middle position. Simple.

Both adjustments might take 10 minutes once you see what's up.

Seat has two positions, High and Low. Key in seat release. Remove pillion. Flip lever and remove rider seat. (From rear on left underside of seat.) There is a black plastic bracket with either H and L or on arrow on it (Don't remember which right now). Attached by grommets at the rear. Pull up..pivots in front. Move so the H or the L matches up to the arrow...black bracket slides fore and aft. Push back down into holes until you get a soft click and it's level again.

Now on the front of the seat compartment at the rear of the tank is a "slot." It has a plastic "door" or "spacer." Pull it out straight back. Replace it in either the upper or lower slot depending on if you are raising or lowering. Replace seats, remove key and you're good to go.

The handlebar has 3 positions. (There is a thread on here somewhere with pictures that will make it easier to see what you're doing.)

Uncap the access covers. You'll see two bolts and two nuts. Loosen the nuts and remove the bolts. Both handlebars can be lifted straight up together as a unit. Look underneath the handlebars at the tree. You'll see some cute little pins..they reside in some holes..three on each side fore and aft. Raise the handlebars so the pins clear the tree. Slide the handlebars fore or aft together. Slide the pins into the new holes, set and retighten and torque. Mine from the factory were in the middle position. Simple.

Both adjustments might take 10 minutes once you see what's up.
My handlebars were set in the middle setting, I want to move them closer. I took the left one off and the stud sticking up seems to be on a spring. If I move it closer to the tank, it just springs back and not even lined up with the middle pin holes, now I can't even get the handlebar back on in the middle were it was, the pins do not line up. What am I doing wrong?

As far as the seat adjustment, the owner's manual is useless. The picture that shows the front bracket (near the gas tank) moving can't be understood unless you already know what needs to happen. The arrow in the picture shows the bracket moving in a way it doesn't actually move. Even reading Slade's instructions above don't help much. My seat's in an OK position, but there's no reason the instructions for something as simple as the seat height adjustment should be so muddy.

As far as that goes...With the OEM shop manual and owner's manual in hand, there is no real explanation of which position the side panels should be in for warmer or cooler weather (that is, to get more or less engine heat on your legs). The only place I found an explanation is among the advertising at Yamaha's website.

And while I'm on a roll...the OEM shop manual doesn't tell you have to get the front fairings off..it just shows the schematic exploded view, but not how to get to some of the bolts that are on the inside. I imagine the guys at the repair shop hate to see these heavily-clad bikes come in, where it takes an hour to strip them down to where they can get to the engine.

OK, I'll end this complaint with "viva la rédacteurs techniques!"