Adventure continued

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

escapefjrtist

Searching for Dry Roads
Reaction score
Hell's Canyon that is...

Since weekends are made for riding and the weather is just spectacular this time of year a ride to Hell's Canyon was in order. MCRIDER007 and I left the tri cities on Saturday morning for a leisurely (ha) :blink: ride across Oregon with a final destination of the canyon.

Does everyone remember Hodaka dirt bikes? The humble building where they were assembled in Athena OR.

Hodaka2.jpg

There were many of these along the way...

Curves1.jpg

Oregon 204 east of Athena

Tollbooth2.jpg

With a nice babbling brook next to the road, a view up river

Whitewater1.jpg

and a view down river

Whitewater2.jpg

Coming into Enterprise OR doesn't look like much at first glance

Enterprise1.jpg

Are you ready yet?

Enterprise3.jpg

Ahhh, he we go, view opposite side of the valley

Enterprise2.jpg

And another

Enterprise4.jpg

To be continued...

Made it, Hell's Canyon Overlook. The HD's in the background were from PA. They were going to the OR coast, down to CA and then returning through the SW back home.

Hellover1.jpg

Now closer to the edge, but not too close

Hellover2.jpg

And finally

Hellover3.jpg

We finally made it. Pretty spectacular view at dusk with the shadows ans such

Canyon1.jpg

What a view down the gorge

Canyon2.jpg

This was just up river from us. Hope it's designed well...

Dam1.jpg

The little Hilton for the night, no hots and two cots. Hell's Canyon Campground.

Camp1.jpg

On the return trip Sunday, a new set of roads was in order.

Climbing up the pass outside Baker City to Anthony Lakes

Anthony5.jpg

To be continued....

The road to Anthony Lakes was very dirty in spots, but little did we know that just beyond this....

CurveB4snow.jpg

Was this, surprise!

Snow1.jpg

Nice pair

Nicepair.jpg

You can tell that '007 wants to jump on that '06 can't ya?

007Pair.jpg

But no way, cuz it's mine

EscapePair.jpg

What a great trip, thanks to 007 for planning the journey.

Various '06 thoughts

After running mine now near 3000 miles, here is some feedback for the new 06 riders.

Stock windshield sux...but it is getting better the more I ride it. It is still going to require replacement cuz at full up the bugs hit me right in the middle of the helmet.

Mileage looks to be close to a push compared to the prior years. Even with the fairly green engine, I was typically .10 gallon LESS than the '05 on each fill up. Why, dunno.

At elevation and in the twisties, at any speed less than 60 - 65, 5th gear is useless. I was always running a gear lower than the '05. I think Yamaha finally has the highway gearing sorted out. I typically don't get into 5th now until at least 65 on flat ground and 70 or so in the hills. No need for 6th any more :yahoo:

Hope you enjoy our adventure to hell.

--G

Does everyone remember Hodaka dirt bikes?”

How could us old folks forget the “Combat Wombat”? :p Nice scenery. B)

was considering, online only, joseph-enterprise as my punch-out destination when i decided on whidbey island. looked pretty ideal: lots of sunshine, affordable real estate, nice artist community. kinda located in bumf$$k, but that's part of the deal, right?

have yet to get there in person. have done the oregon outback on the way to burning man and back. man, there is a LOT of NUTHIN out there. pretty.

thanks for the great report and pics.

shu

Latest posts