Advice on purchase, please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigboi

Reaction score
Last year, I sold my 05 FJR. Mistake. Want to replace it. Can anyone advise me on ways to identify or avoid getting a ticker? Please and thank you.

From what I hear D&H has a few 07s and 08s at great prices, and they be tikker-free! Even the VENDOR section of this forum has a few 07s (new from dealers) for not alot of money.

Good luck, and It's good that you are rejoining the FJR ranks.

C

Buy an '06 or newer.

No one has reported a ticker yet for these models and there was an internal engine change by Yamaha to fix this "non-existent and underground" problem.

Buy an '06 or newer.
No one has reported a ticker yet for these models and there was an internal engine change by Yamaha to fix this "non-existent and underground" problem.
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a tikker?

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a tikker?
Ticker with a c. Please click on the searched term ticker site:fjrforum.com as well as the Bin 'O Facts you were strongly recommended to read when you signed up. This thread isn't the place to open that can of worms again.

Can anyone advise me on ways to identify or avoid getting a ticker?
The only way you could avoid a ticker 100% is to:

• Buy a Gen 2

To reduce your chances with a Gen 1:

• Buy a fixed ticker with the updated valve seals
  • Buy a well experienced Gen 1 with more than 30K miles or so and hasn't been a ticker.
  • Buy a Gen 1 with time left on the Y.E.S. warranty to cover the chance of being a ticker and have the seals replaced under warranty

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 04 ticker :angry2: . I did a short test ride when I bought it 6 mo ago, sounded good. when I got it home (after it warmed) up I could hear the tick after. if you are buying used let it warm up then see if you can pull it into a garage for a little bit, that will make it esier to hear the tick. here is a link (if it works) that tells you all about the tick.

https://www.bestbits.org/ticking_overview.html

I've read here that many tickers were repaired even if 1) it was out of warranty AND 2) YES was never purchased.