AE Handshifter auto-enable device

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djsmith1000

Reaction score
Got my AE a few weeks ago, and soon realized what a pain in the neck that stupid button on the handgrip is. 85turbo had the idea of coming up with a device to disable it, and came up with a prototype. So i made a solid-state version, and it is now available. Development details can be found in the tech discussions thread here...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=16709

Figured I'd start a new thread in the right place to get everything in the right spot and answer a few FAQ's.

What does it do?

When you switch the motorcycle on, it automatically enables the hand-shifter.

How does it work?

Functional diagram:

https://picasaweb.google.com/danielsmith1/H...952046387403858

How big is it?

The device is very small, roughly the size of a quarter and less than 1/2 in thick so it can be tucked anywhere. It will be encapsulated, so should be impervious to the elements.

Does it draw much power?

Almost none.

How hard is it to install?

Simple. Splice 3 wires into the harness directly beneath the seat. If you cant/dont want to solder, posi-taps have been suggested.

How much does it cost?

$50+$5 S&H (USD).

How do I get it?

PM me with 2 pieces of information: Email address for paypal, and shipping address.

How do I install it?

Here are the installation instructions and further details. Note that this link is to my home computer and it may not work all the time, but should be up most of the time. If someone has a better hosting suggestion, please let me know.

https://dansmith.dynalias.com/Handshift_AutoEn_Install.pdf

Installation instructions for hand shifter auto-enable device (for diagram, see pdf file above)

Read all instructions and notes completely before installing.

1.Remove seat.

2.Raise seat adjuster to allow ready access to MCU

3.Remove rear connector on MCU for easier access to wires (not necessary). The diagram of the connector is shown below.

4.Splice in three wires from auto-enable device as follows

Wire 1: Green wire from device goes to the Brown/Blue harness wire.

Wire 2: Red wire from device goes to the Blue harness wire

Wire 3: Black wire from device goes to Black/Blue harness wire

5.Double check the wiring.

6.Reconnect MCU connector to MCU

7.Test system. Green indicator light next to the enable button should light up within a couple seconds of turning on the ignition key. Hand shift enable button should still function as normal.

8.Replace seat adjuster and seat

Important Notes:

This device is powered by the MCU. The MCU often stays on for about 5 seconds after the main switch (key) is shut off. Thus, the device does not reset until the MCU has fully powered down. If the main switch is shut off and turned on again before the MCU powers down completely, the device may not enable the hand shifter as normal.

Splice does not mean replace. The original connection should remain intact. Strip the insulation from the wire on the motorcycle, solder the wire from auto-enable device to the harness wire, then tape the connection with electrical tape or use other insulating method to prevent shorts and provide strain relief.

Last edited by a moderator: