Aerostich Combat Boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pair of Combat Light boots, I love them but a PITA to break them in. I wear a size 10, and I got the 44 in the Combat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy the size up from what crosses over from European sizes. If it's an iffy 9.5 go up to 10. When you get em, and this is hard to do to a new pair of boots. Put em in the bathtub and soak them for about 2 hours then put em on until they pretty much dry out. It's called "casing" them. save yourself allot of break in time. I have both the regular ones and the lights too. The lights are about 6 years old and are all day comfortable, the regulars i wear dirt biking are 3 years old and still feel like brand new. They are damn tough boots. Made by Sidi.

I bought a pair of the lights & returned them. The return had absolutely nothing to do with the boot construction. I had also purchased the next size up which would've been the right move if I'd kept them. I really wanted to like these. I have issue with large calves & ankles. After adjusting them all of the way out, It was hard.... as in extremely hard to get my foot in them. It was also extremely hard to get them back off. That sucked & hinged my decision to keep or return.

I hope that to be the last time that I try mail order boots. I doubt it, though. I've ate shipping charges to send boots back more than once.

Good luck... these are extremely well made boots.

I have a set of the combat lights - love 'em. As others say, a size up seems to work. Didn't have any issues breaking 'em in.

I did have to adjust the shift lever to the "furthest out" position so the toe of the boot would fit properly underneath.

I'm normally a size 8. The CT-L's are 8.5 if memory serves...

Griff

Thanks for the replies. The issue is that I currently wear a size 44/10 and with the measurement guide it shows that I need a 46/11.5

I might have to give them a call.

Canadian FJR

I had a pair of Combat Lights for a short while, but sold them still in "as new" condition to BeemerDonS. I did not care for the lacing / velcro system, and the boots are not waterproof, though if you treat the leather often I suppose you can make them nearly so. Honestly, I think there are much better dual sport / adventure boots out there for $387 / $347 than the Aerostich Combats / Lights. I don't get where they think command those kind of prices. Must be an Aerostich kool-aide kind of thing?

For dual sporting, I own a pair of Gaerne G-Adventure boots which have a more normal, 3 buckle closure system and are completely waterproof. They are also quite comfy right out of the box, and do not require the extensive break-in time of the Combats, plus you can get them for just $215 these days... The G-Adventures also run a bit tight, so you should go up a size for best comfort.

For strictly street riding and touring I have a pair of TCX X-Five Plus GoreTex boots. They are awesome all weather boots, incredibly comfortable, and the GoreTex does allow them to not feel clammy on warmer days even though they are totally waterproof. They go for only $240 a pair and are everything you could ask for in a waterproof touring boot. They run a bit larger in size so just order your normal street shoe size and they will still be roomy enough for heavy socks on cooler days.

I had a pair of Combat Lights for a short while, but sold them still in "as new" condition to BeemerDonS. I did not care for the lacing / velcro system, and the boots are not waterproof, though if you treat the leather often I suppose you can make them nearly so. Honestly, I think there are much better dual sport / adventure boots out there for $387 / $347 than the Aerostich Combats / Lights. I don't get where they think command those kind of prices. Must be an Aerostich kool-aide kind of thing?

For dual sporting, I own a pair of Gaerne G-Adventure boots which have a more normal, 3 buckle closure system and are completely waterproof. They are also quite comfy right out of the box, and do not require the extensive break-in time of the Combats, plus you can get them for just $215 these days... The G-Adventures also run a bit tight, so you should go up a size for best comfort.

For strictly street riding and touring I have a pair of TCX X-Five Plus GoreTex boots. They are awesome all weather boots, incredibly comfortable, and the GoreTex does allow them to not feel clammy on warmer days even though they are totally waterproof. They go for only $240 a pair and are everything you could ask for in a waterproof touring boot. They run a bit larger in size so just order your normal street shoe size and they will still be roomy enough for heavy socks on cooler days.
I really LOVE my Combat Lights I got from Fred W, once I peeled the loser Boston Bruins stickers off of them they are the best motorcycle boots I've ever owned.

I first treated them with saddle/Neatsfoot and I have endured the torrential rainstorms of the Sonoran Desert just fine, however these boots were tough to break in!

Papa Chuy Viejo has worn his Aerostich Combats riding around the World and I highly recommend them to Manly Man Adventure Riders, Mas Caminos y mas Amigos!

41iK3UJ0RzL.jpg

Thanks Don,
How do you find the sizing? What size do you wear with other boots compared to these?

Canadian FJR
Mine are a half size larger than I regularly wear in motorcycle boots, my Sidi Combats are 11 and my KLIM boots are 10.5! That is in Gringo sizing, adjust for Canuckistani measurements eh! jes' sayin' and nuff said, eh!

I also have a pair of the Gaerne G-Adventure boots. I use them for street touring. I really like them. When I got them they ran north of the $300 mark.