Aerostich Combat Touring Lites

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned a pair for about 3 years. Excellent riding boot! The take about 3 months to break in. I wore them around the house and did some yard work wearing them but they finally provided some flex and are now quite comfortable.

The speed laces really work well.

With enough Nixwax they are mostly water resistant. I can ride in heavy rain for about 3 hours and just the toes are damp. The design (cut of the leather) is water resistant.

I use them for all my extended riding. There are a bit heavy for just riding to work or around town.

These boots are very well constructed and use preimum leather (They are made by Sidi for Aerostitch--I think in Romaina???)

Worth the money because they can be resoled (they come in 2 different soles, I own the cleated sole but they offer a wedged sole as well)

Here is the link: Combat Touring Lites

I'm debating about whether to try the Combat Lites or the Sidi OnRoad...

I don't really care to have the goretex in the OnRoad; but I think I like the design of the OnRoad better.

I have a pair and I like them you need to break them in, I would not ride with them too much while breaking them in, I walked a lot in them PITA or foot but after they are broken in they feel great and will last a long time, I have a pair of Sidi street boots for summer.

Marcus

I was between the Combat Lites and the Sidi on roads, I got the on roads because they had Gore Tex. They are the best boots that I have ever had, waterproof and not too hot. I've had them for two years now and when they wear out they will be replaced with the same boot.

DC

I'm worried about heat in the OnRoads. My experience with goretex is that is doesn't breathe well enough for my sweaty ass.

I purchased the Combat Lites about 3 months prior to a 3000 mile tour of the west coast last year. After much research and discussions with Aerostich, I figured these were a good choice for a combination of riding and walking. These boots were known to require some breaking in but not as much as the regular Combat Touring boots.

I found they were the most difficult boots to shift smoothly with than all previous boots I've ever used, and the overall fit and finish were less than impressive. Having used Aerostich products for many years (Roadcrafter, Darien, etc.), I was more than a little disappointed.

Not wanting to chance problems on the trip, I ended up going with my older Oxtar/TCX Matrix II boots. After the trip, I wondered why I ever bothered purchasing the Combat Lites and sold them.

I believe they are a well made boot, but are more suitable for dual-purpose and off-road use.

I've had a pair for several years. As stated, they take a while to break in. Other than that, They are my favorite riding boots. They breathe well, are reasonably waterproof, resolable and comfortable to walk in. With the creep in Sidi prices over the last couple of years they even compare favorably price-wise. The only disadvantage that I can see is that they really have little more built in protection than work boots. No safety toes, ankle guards or shin guards betond the thick leather.

I have the regular combat touring boots, but from what I understand, the Lites are just a shorter version anyway.

I have had the regular version for a number of years (6?) and they are still fabulous. I ride at least 10,000 miles a year, sometimes more. I probably have near 80k on these boots. Every weather from 20 degrees to over 100. All day rains...my feet have always been comfortable and dry. Road junk has always bounced off without trouble. The boots still look great and are on their second set of soles and I just had the velcro replaced.

These boots are very well made. Slip on and off very easily and have always been very comfortable. When buttoned up, they cannot come off. And the speed lacing, buckle, velcro makes getting them on slick.

The low profile toe has always fit under shifters well. If it doesn't for you, adjust your shifter.

I started with the wedged sole but when it wore smooth, tried the cleated sole. I like riding the wedge better but walking the cleated one better.

Speaking of walking, the regular is not a great walking boot, but not as bad as you might think. I think the lite has got to be better here.

I am sure there are a number of great boots out there, but like my Darien jacket, I have been so impressed with my boots, I will definitely buy another pair if I ever need to.

paul from Minnesota

how are you planning on wearing the boots on your ass?
When stuck in Oklahoma City traffic, when it's 103 and humid as hell, the sweat from your ass will find it's way to your boots, especially if you are covered with goretex. ;)

how are you planning on wearing the boots on your ass?
When stuck in Oklahoma City traffic, when it's 103 and humid as hell, the sweat from your ass will find it's way to your boots, especially if you are covered with goretex. ;)
Now that's FUNNY! I know what you mean about the Gore Tex but the On Roads are much more breathable than other Gore Tex boots I have tried. Proabably not as breathable as the Combat Lites but more water proof. Everything's a compramise.

DC