Aerostich Insulated Elkskin Gauntlet Gloves #469-479

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not the insulated variety... I've got the standard Aerostich elkskin ropers and they are excellent.

The elkskin gloves were god-awful for the first few days of riding until I got them broken in... then they were like old jeans. My understanding is that the insulated/gauntlet are in fact a mix of elk (where the wear/abrasion is needed) and deer (supple) so they don't need as much break in as the all-elk gloves.

They will need waterproofing... I use sno-seal on the backs of the gloves ONLY. When they get wet, I find they air dry pretty quick with the heated grips on.

The uninsulated ones are great down to near freezing. Insulated would no doubt drop that a few degrees.

Hope this helps

Griff

I love Aerostich products...but let me suggest an alternative. Check out Redwing Shoes. They manufacture a Bike line with some fantastic gauntlet glove with Thinsulate linings. Wore them today. No break in required...glove leather soft. RedWing sells some spray on treatment to waterproof and preserve. These gloves are the best cold weather riding gloves I've had. Rode in last week in 26F with the grip heaters on...no problems.

Just an idea. Oh yeah. I paid $45.00 for em at the RedWing store.

Not the insulated variety... I've got the standard Aerostich elkskin ropers and they are excellent.
The elkskin gloves were god-awful for the first few days of riding until I got them broken in... then they were like old jeans. My understanding is that the insulated/gauntlet are in fact a mix of elk (where the wear/abrasion is needed) and deer (supple) so they don't need as much break in as the all-elk gloves.

They will need waterproofing... I use sno-seal on the backs of the gloves ONLY. When they get wet, I find they air dry pretty quick with the heated grips on.

The uninsulated ones are great down to near freezing. Insulated would no doubt drop that a few degrees.

Hope this helps

Griff

+1 I've got the standard elkskin and I LOVE them. Didn't have any break-in issues though. I've just ordered the non insulated, gauntlet elkskins so I'll let you know. The standard elkskin don't fit well over my 'Stitch sleeves, hoping the gauntlets will