Aerostich Roadcrafter v. Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the guys I ride with told me recently that Aerostich garmets are no longer made in the U.S. I think he said they were now constructed in India or Pakistan per Aerostich specs. Anyone know if that true and if so, is it the entire clothing line or just selected pieces? Seems like it would certainly add to the delivery time of a custom built suit.

TC, thank you VERY much for that link. I have been considering an Aerostich suit, but have been extremely worried about my climate. The report helps make my decision.

Last time at was at Duluth Aerostich suits were being made in the USA, by Americans. I have herd that a couple of there garmets how been farmed out though.

When I picked up my suit this last spring, you could here the sewing machines running.....

Dana

I must admit that I haven't read the article yet. No time right now. What I'm wondering is why they'd compare these two pieces of clothing. Isn't this comparable to apples & oranges? Apples being a Roadcrafter (warmer, non mesh stuff) & oranges being Cycleport (spring/summer mesh gear)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew our agency was using the Motoport stuff, and the guys have been really happy with it. But, they also have the Roadcrafter for winter and have been really happy with that too.

I remember hearing something negative about Kevlar once, but I can't seem to find it now. Those are some spendy jackets/suits.

The only thing I'd do differently with the Kevlar mesh is, I wouldn't wear an inside liner. I'd have a pull over outer liner for rain, etc. I hate garments that fill up with water all the way to the skin.

What I'm wondering is why they'd compare these two pieces of clothing. Isn't this comparable to apples & oranges? Apples being a Roadcrafter (warmer, non mesh stuff) & oranges being Cycleport (spring/summer mesh gear)?
My Air Mesh suit works fine all year. I have the Gore-Tex liners which make it water/wind proof. No wind= no wind chill. I can ride comfortably in temps below freezing to whatever Mother Nature can dish out on the top end with what I can carry on the bike.
Don't waste your money on the insulation they sell though. I layer with poly fleece and stay plenty cozy, plus it looks stylish to walk around in when off the bike. I have jackets in three different weights and pants in two, plus base layers. The fleece is very light and very effective, as long as the wind is blocked. No need for heated garments in the conditions I have faced so far, but I'm going to add grip heaters behind my hand guards so I can use my Held kangaroo gloves this winter, as long as it's dry. Might need to get some of those cool 'Stich over gloves for the wet stuff.

IMO, if you can afford two suits these would be the two to have. If you can only afford one and ride in temps over 80 the Kevlar mesh is very versatile, not unlike the bike we have chosen to ride.

IMO, if you can afford two suits these would be the two to have. If you can only afford one and ride in temps over 80 the Kevlar mesh is very versatile, not unlike the bike we have chosen to ride.
Well put, and nice simile.

What I'm wondering is why they'd compare these two pieces of clothing. Isn't this comparable to apples & oranges? Apples being a Roadcrafter (warmer, non mesh stuff) & oranges being Cycleport (spring/summer mesh gear)?
My Air Mesh suit works fine all year. I have the Gore-Tex liners which make it water/wind proof. No wind= no wind chill. I can ride comfortably in temps below freezing to whatever Mother Nature can dish out on the top end with what I can carry on the bike.
Don't waste your money on the insulation they sell though. I layer with poly fleece and stay plenty cozy, plus it looks stylish to walk around in when off the bike. I have jackets in three different weights and pants in two, plus base layers. The fleece is very light and very effective, as long as the wind is blocked. No need for heated garments in the conditions I have faced so far, but I'm going to add grip heaters behind my hand guards so I can use my Held kangaroo gloves this winter, as long as it's dry. Might need to get some of those cool 'Stich over gloves for the wet stuff.

Agree. I love my Roadcrafter but it goes in the closet in April and stays there until October to be replaced by my JR Phoenix gear. If Motoport had been around when I got the RC, I might have got with it since I live in the South.