Aerostitch Bluetooth Wireless Communicator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone who felt that the Smuggler trunk was too pricy, please raise your hands! :p :ph34r:

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH I think I'm getting a chubby here. I wonder if you plug your earphones into the reciever? I've looked long and hard (no pun intended) for my current earplugs and wouldn't want to give them up for something that may or may not work the way I want it too. JB :D

I actually looked at the scala-rider. It looked nice, but had only one headphone for $150.

Personally, I think the price of the Chatterbox is high for what it is. Just my two cents.

If it works well and has good response, then it seems to be a viable option. Sure cheaper than stuff from J&M. I wonder how you'd Bluetooth to a set of ear monitors?

I'm not sure that you guys posting links to all these expensive new doo dads are doing anyone any favors.

I don't even have the damned HID's that I ordered yet. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
They had a booth at the motorcycle show in Ft Worth. It looks very interesting to me but I am a nerdy network engineer.

It is in stereo and you can use your own headphones. Basically, it comes with 2 units a unit that is the receiver that all of the stuff plugs into and a Helmet unit that has a headset jack, intercom jack, answer/receive cell phone, push to talk, VOX adjustment, intercom selector and volume selector. The bike to bike radio has a five mile radius.

It is intended to wear it stuck on your helmet or on your belt.

Anyway... it is expensive

Chad

It makes no mention of whether or not it is water proof or not. Personally I will stay with J&M cause I know their product is good to go. Once others have put this thing to the test and the opinions are out, then I will look at getting one. Till then, J&M works great.

I'm a BIG fan OF BlueTooth to break the distracting, annoying and potentially dangerous practice of having wires running from your helmet to the bike, your waist or your wrist. I've tolerated them, but since getting the Scala, I've been willing to sacrifice the stereo (gasp!) for the convenience and safety of B/T.

What I didn't see in that AeroStitch add for the ChatterBox was the obvious: A BlueTooth link between a B/T-capable cell phone and the Chatterbox. If a B/T phone can talk to a Motorola headset or a Scala helmet-set, why does it need to be WIRED to the Chatterbox? That makes no f***in' sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a B/T phone can talk to a Motorola headset or a Scala helmet-set, why does it need to be WIRED to the Chatterbox? That makes no f***in' sense.
Yanktar,

Probably for the same reason that the all-wired audio controllers do: so that it can turn off the music when the phone rings.

In your current setup, the phone is associated with the helmet. In this setup, the chatterbox box is associated with the helmet. I think what you're saying is that you want there to be an association between the chatterbox and the phone then between the chatterbox and the helmet. That would mean that the chatterbox would need to support two simultaneous streams of data to two different recipients. I'm not sure that the radios support that. In addition, I'm not sure how frequency diverse bluetooth is, would the two streams interfere with each other? And then there would be the issue of compatability. They'd have to test the chatterbox with all kinds of bluetooth phones. Or they could just insist on the wire. ;-)

CHeers,

Jim

Have been waiting a long time for this unit to be released. It has been delayed now twice that I know of. It was orginally supposed to have been out this last spring. Anyways, have been keeping up on the info as it becomes available (not a lot to be had). Having all your gadgets hard-wired into the main unit doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, as long as the helmet stays wireless. However, the one thing that is kind of discouraging is the fact that the pilot and passenger must be hard-wired for intercom. There is no wireless connectivity between the two. Confirmed this with a call to Chatterbox about 2 weeks ago. Told them that it would be nice if they would consider putting in an addtional Bluetooth chip in to handle this job. Didn't get much of a response to that one <_<

I wonder what the dynamic range/audio quality is through a blue tooth "pipeline"?

I didn't think you can get decent high fidelity through the current wireless systems. :unsure:

#1: if the headset has a phone answer button, then isn't it connected via bluetooth? I thought the hardwire connections to phones were audio only.

#2: High-fidelity audio on a motorcycle at speed is impossible from my experience. Custom fit earbuds would be the best I could think of.

#2: High-fidelity audio on a motorcycle at speed is impossible from my experience.  Custom fit earbuds would be the best I could think of.
You obviously haven't heard an Autocom system.

THE BEST helmet speakers...period. I use a shitty Walkman and it still sounds like a nightclub.

#2: High-fidelity audio on a motorcycle at speed is impossible from my experience.  Custom fit earbuds would be the best I could think of.
You obviously haven't heard an Autocom system.

THE BEST helmet speakers...period. I use a shitty Walkman and it still sounds like a nightclub.
Unless your helmet is orders of magnitude quiter than my helmets at speed, then I feel comfortable with the following statements.

Riding at highway speeds with no hearing protection is already loud enough to permanitly damage your hearing. If you're using helmet speakers loud enough to hear "like a nightclub" over wind noise, you're way louder than that. I could see getting good sound out of helmet speakers riding in town at 30-40 mph, but this is when I want to hear traffic the most.

Custom molded earplugs w/ speakers will block out most of the wind noise, and let you run the headphones at a much lower volume. This is better for your hearing in the long run. It's also easier to get a clean sound from these without having to compete and mix with the wind noise. A step down from this are the Koss or radioshack earbuds with foam earplugs, which I was using on the highways.

That being said, is your helmet quite at 70-80 mph? I've had 3 different helmets on the FJR, and there were differences, but not THAT much.

Also, my definition of "high fidelity" is probably more refined than a lot of other peoples.