Aerostitch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased a year-old one on Ebay about two years ago. It has become my favorite riding suit. I have several different sets of gear and in reality there is no perfect one that will work well all year. The "Stich" gets kinda hot in the mid-eighties and mine is a little too tight fitting to add as much layering as I would like in the cooler weather. With that said, I have not problem wearing it down into the 40's. The convenience is great; it only takes a few seconds to zip on or off over your clothes. When you reach a destination, you zip out and are in your street clothes. Behind the small shield on my GS, a heavy rain would produce a leak in the crotch. I have not had the opportunity to test it under the same circumstances behind the FJR. I like it well enough that I am planning to get another one, slightly larger for layering.

Shep

Got a custom-sized one about a year ago. Zero problems. Top notch quality. Ask them to velco the full length of the front zipper. That's helps with water seepage at low speed.

Only complaint is it's too hot for summer riding. I use a vent jacket for hot days and a vanson leather jacket for shorter hops in the spring and summer.

Think there are other threads on this same topic. Try searching.

I recently bought the 2 piece Darien and am very happy with it. Like the one piece it goes over your regular clothes. This past summer I wore the jacket with all the vents open and found it to be cool enough to wear into the low 90's.....I was very suprised.

When I bought my two-piece Roadcrafter, I thought it was pretty expensive.

Now, amortized over 11 years, 145,000 miles and a couple of "oops!", it's turned out to be a bargain.

I rode up to the store and got fitted so I didn't have to mail suits back and forth to get fit correctly. You get a 10% discount for ride ins. The people at the store really know what they are doing, IMO.

It fits perfectly and I have zero complaints about it. It does get warm in the summer like the others have mentioned. I feel a lot more secure in it than I do in my First Gear mesh so I choose to sweat. I have not ridden in too heavy of rain to get any leaks but so far it's water proof.

I'm sold on Aerostitch stuff. I prefer the 2 piece Darien line that they offer...might go for the Roadcrafter if I did track days. I've got two of the Darien jackets and several pairs of Darien pants....never had a leak in the crotch area as some have reported while using the product in heavy rain. Overall, a top-notch production of riding gear. Got to admit, though, that like any other good protective gear, using it in the hottest of the summer heat can be uncomfortable. It has been so bad in Florida this year that I've taken to riding naked.

IMHO the Aerostitch is first class quality, but like Snap-On, not cheap but an investment. Also live in FL, and feel venting is ok up to about the upper 80's, after that is a little warm.

I did have some leaking at the zipper in the first rain storm so need to do a little work there, but overall, I really like the suit.

Seems like every time you stop somewhere, someone comes up and asks about it. Too bad they don't have some in dealers so people could see them firsthand. I think this is one thing holding a lot of people back.

If you can make it to Duluth and get it fitted there, you will have a custom fitted suit just for you.

Two thumbs up from me on the Roadcrafter. You would not want it as your only suit here in FL, but well worth the money.

B)

I've had both the onepiece and the two piece. Both excellent gear. Personally I don't have trouble with the heat till over 110 deg, the sole benefit fo being raised in the desert. (it's dry heat) B) Took a spill in the two piece and Aerostich repaired the jacket, totaled the pants and gave me a discount on the new one piece. If I were happier with them there would have to be two of me.

I prefer the two-piece. The one piece can make you look fat[ter], and sometimes, it's nice to have a durable waterproof jacket that I can wear by itself.

I wouldn't like it if I were sitting in traffic in 90+ weather, but for everything else, this is the best all-around gear I've found yet.

As others have noted, the up-front costs seem steep, but with a little care, it could easily amortize out to less than $100/year.

One thing I did was buy generic CE2 kneepads- the 'stich pads don't bend enough, and put pressure on my kneecaps that results in pain after a few hours.

Been using the 2 pc roadcrafter for 1 1/2 years. No complaints...and for the summer heat I just open the vents and pour water on my shirt...instant evap cooling.

I keep up the maintainence with cleaning/waterproofing and seal the zippers once a year and I'm good to go.

I did add the Bohn velcro-in hard back armour made for the 'stich.

Last edited by a moderator: