Aftermarket Camshaft?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC CWO

Reaction score
Simple question...I hope. I'm about to hit the threshold where I told myself I would begin installing performance upgrades on my FJR. Now I am looking to have the head worked on and upgrade the camshaft without going to a custom grind.

Does anybody know if there is an aftermarker camshaft available?

Can someone recommend a performance bike shop in or near Eastern VA to get the head work done? Preferrably a place that can dyno tune afterward.

Thanks

Nope, haven't seen nor heard a peep. What you could do is have the stockers reground by a cam shop. They can cut the base circle, thereby increasing lift, but you better know what profile you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple question...I hope. I'm about to hit the threshold where I told myself I would begin installing performance upgrades on my FJR. Now I am looking to have the head worked on and upgrade the camshaft without going to a custom grind.

Can someone recommend a performance bike shop in or near Eastern VA to get the head work done? Preferrably a place that can dyno tune afterward.

Thanks
Sounds like a lot of work and money to spend on a bike that is not really designed (too damn heavy) to do what you're trying to make it do IMHO.

Why not just by a GSXR-1000 than do some simple tweaks to that machine, as even the simple and not overly expensive tweaks will make that thing scarry to ride.

One assumes you have already added exhaust and computer tweaks and done the suspension and brake upgrades so that you can optimize the OEM torque and power.

That being done, I don't remember anyone changing cams. IF you could get them, the cams were a bit "hotter" in the '03s, but I don't have the specs. It sounds to me like you are headed for a "reground" cam.

Thanks
Have you already added Headers??

Have you already added Headers??
Gunny.

Below is a link to a set Dyno charts showing the stock (at the time) Gen II FJR vs mine with a few "simple" mods you gain around 5HP, the bike runs a full 1 bar lower temp, the throttle hesitation is totally gone, etc. oh, and this is without the headers, just after market cans. If you go for a Dale Walker full system you're likely to see even more power.

[SIZE=10pt]Got Horsepower Topic[/SIZE]

A lot of you have asked if I have done other mods. So far the bike is completely stock. However, when I build a bike, I research all parts of the upgrade and make sure they match for the desired result. For my performance upgrade, the big puzzle piece was the cam. Since it appears there is not an aftermarket cam, I will research the possibility of using an '03 cam and matching other mods accordingly.

I already have my sportbike (SV1KS), but I believe you can never have too much power no matter what you ride. I was the same way with my HD.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. If you know whether an '03 cam will work in an '07 let me know. Then I can figure what other performance mods I want to use and then begin the build. I usually buy all the parts over time and then put them on as one project followed by a dyno tune.

Suspension mods will be done accordingly and I hope to get in on the next group buy.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. If you know whether an '03 cam will work in an '07 let me know.
I don['t know that the '03 cams are available any longer. You'd have to check the parts catalog @ Yamaha USA. IIRC, they kept the same part number for '04-'05, but the profiles are different.

Perhaps there is a cam available in Europe. If so the guys on www.fjrowners.ws would know.

As a sidebar, have you considered a turbo in lieu of other changes? That seems like it would give you the most power for the least intensive labor and money spent. Plus, we're waiting for the first guy to turbo-charge an FJR so we can see the dyno results. :D

As a sidebar, have you considered a turbo in lieu of other changes? That seems like it would give you the most power for the least intensive labor and money spent. Plus, we're waiting for the first guy to turbo-charge an FJR so we can see the dyno results. :D
If you know where I can get a turbo, I will certainly look into it. I don't see how a turbo would work for overall performance on a bike, but it would probably look really cool and sound sweeeeet!

Seriously though, doubt I will try that option, although the musclehead in me really likes the idea.

If you know where I can get a turbo, I will certainly look into it. I don't see how a turbo would work for overall performance on a bike, but it would probably look really cool and sound sweeeeet!

Seriously though, doubt I will try that option, although the musclehead in me really likes the idea.
Personally I don't see how a turbo would "not" work on a bike for overall performance. Seems about any engine could gain by use of a turbo. I saw one on a FZ1 at the IMS show this year in San Mateo, Ca. And have seen pics of a turbo setup on other sport type bikes. Seems the power gain would be in the "wicked" bracket if you looking for extra power and boost. You wouldn't have to tear the engine apart or even add an aftermarket exhaust although I would. Bang for the buck, good looks, awesome sound and yes mega power. And no need to mess around with nitrous and possible problems associated with its use either. Sounds just what you might be looking for. If I had the pennies I would. Let us know what you do as this has been an interesting subject to me ever since eyeing the FJR just like MadMike mentioned. I think this bike would really rock more than it already does and that would be waaaaaaay cool. PM. <>< B)

Personally I don't see how a turbo would "not" work on a bike for overall performance. Seems about any engine could gain by use of a turbo.
Yes, BUT, there are issues. The acceleration (application of horsepower) is not as linear. The turbo "rush" can be disconcerting if one is riding @ 8/10 or more and accelerating out of a corner. Yes, I know that proper waste gate set-up and changing the fuel maps mitigate this issue, but that could be a very lengthy process. Changing the cams should give him increased horsepower that is controlled at the twist grip.

In a straight line, WFO, point-and-shoot, any supercharging system would be great. For rideability during aggressive cornering...????

Still.....:scratching head smiley: :rolleyes:

Personally I don't see how a turbo would "not" work on a bike for overall performance.
My opinion is that of Mike's. I have turbo's in other vehicles and have even done a couple turbo upgrades. In every case I experience an initial (although minimal) turbo lag when I stomp the gas followed by a rush when the turbo spools up. If I wanted 1/4 mile times, I would absolutely agree that a turbo would be the best bet but I am not skilled enough to get the kind of throttle response from a turbo that I would get from changing my cam. This reminds me of that bike Jay Leno has, which is powered by a Bell helicopter turboshaft powrplant.

I am currently working with Redline Performance Motorsports Inc. out of Yorktown, VA to evaluate both the cam and turbo options. They have done this type of work before but never on an FJR. From there we are going to put together a package of matched parts, port and polish the heads and finish with a custom map for the computer. The Manager is enthusiastic to work with me on the project but it may just be because I am paying him. I'll keep everyone abreast of my progress.

When I got into motorcycles (mid 70s) you could get a cam or big bore for practically any 4 stroke street bike. Turn a standard into a rocket (relatively speaking of course) by adding big bore, pipe, etc.

Times have changed. It's too bad you can't get a big bore for the FJR. I did one on my Suzuki 750 and it worked well.

I guess most of the performance geeks are on GXRs and such.

Good luck to you.