Aftermarket shocks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bengt Weil

Reaction score
Two questions here -

Any other aftermarket shock (other than the Ohlins) available for the GEN II bike that has a remote preload adjustment?

On aftermarket shocks such as the Penske, how difficult (time wise) is it to adjust the preload manually?

Thanks for your thoughts on this...

Any other aftermarket shock (other than the Ohlins) available for the GEN II bike that has a remote preload adjustment?
Look for yourself at the Group Buy underway at this moment.
BTDT - Maybe I missed the section that answered my questions?

So you are saying that there are only two aftermarket shocks available? A simple yes/no would suffice.

As for the preload adjustment, I was looking for real world experiences of other forum members using the Penske unit (since I am to assume that it is? the only other manual preload shock available for the Gen II) when adjusting for increased payload and adjusting back for solo riding...

Thank you in advance to those who are willing to share their experiences.

So you are saying that there are only two aftermarket shocks available? A simple yes/no would suffice.
Really? Actually, you simply doing a search for aftermarket shock site:fjrforum.com would suffice. There are many, Many, MANY people that have previously already shared their experience on this commonly asked question.

You will enjoy yourself and others will enjoy you much more if you try a search and look around a little. Thank you in advance for not being a Search Welfare recipient.

As for the preload adjustment, I was looking for real world experiences of other forum members using the Penske unit (since I am to assume that it is? the only other manual preload shock available for the Gen II) when adjusting for increased payload and adjusting back for solo riding...

The Penske is easily adjustable with the tool provided. The shock collar has a lot of holes, which makes turning it in the tight space fine. Once I got to the setting, I haven't touched it since. The Penske shock is a most definite top 5 farkle!

The Penske is easily adjustable with the tool provided. The shock collar has a lot of holes, which makes turning it in the tight space fine. Once I got to the setting, I haven't touched it since. The Penske shock is a most definite top 5 farkle!
Thank you for the feedback! Now I'll be re-thinking my options. Penske (price) or Ohlins (convenience)...

If you can still get the Wilber's shock you can get a remote preload adjustment. Of course, they are not part of the ongoing Group Buy but I'm sure you could find a Wilber dealer.

Tom

Latest posts