Air Induction Removal and WynPro Covers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAF

Reaction score
Well going after a TB sync so ordered WynPro Covers to eliminate the air induction as a first move. Ordered on Wednesday, here on Saturday.

Nothing really "new under the sun" but I thought I would show some other new members who may not know what this product does or rather what it allows us to do without. Yellow loctight is a bitch and makes you screw each one out to the last thread as reported so I had the mind set going in, you should too. Going back in was smooth as silk(well not really)after wire brushing the bolts, a little blue, and I got all snug, except one, by hand. Have no idea on torque and did not bother looking, tight is what they are!

So a picture is worth a thousand words, right? This is the mess that comes out.

air%20out.jpg

And to think these get ride of all the above mess.

air%20covers.jpg

So in the morning when I go out to do the TB sync this is what I will see. Hard to get a good shot of the covers on but if you look between spark plug 2 & 3 you can see a cover and between 3 & 4 you can see one. Just really cleans the bay up very nicely.

air%20done.jpg

So anyone on the fence or was not sure what the WynPro plates do, you can see what is removed, and it is not that bad of a task.

Well going after a TB sync so ordered WynPro Covers to eliminate the air induction as a first move. Ordered on Wednesday, here on Saturday.

Nothing really "new under the sun" but I thought I would show some other new members who may not know what this product does or rather what it allows us to do without. Yellow loctight is a bitch and makes you screw each one out to the last thread as reported so I had the mind set going in, you should too. Going back in was smooth as silk(well not really)after wire brushing the bolts, a little blue, and I got all snug, except one, by hand. Have no idea on torque and did not bother looking, tight is what they are!

So a picture is worth a thousand words, right? This is the mess that comes out.

air%20out.jpg

And to think these get ride of all the above mess.

air%20covers.jpg

So in the morning when I go out to do the TB sync this is what I will see. Hard to get a good shot of the covers on but if you look between spark plug 2 & 3 you can see a cover and between 3 & 4 you can see one. Just really cleans the bay up very nicely.

air%20done.jpg

So anyone on the fence or was not sure what the WynPro plates do, you can see what is removed, and it is not that bad of a task.
That is a mess! So what is all that for? Emissions compliant garbage? What do you gain by removing it, other than cleaning up the bay I mean?? Do you have to re-map the ecm when you take all those lines off?

SQUEAL you gain the space and you do not have all that recirculated crap running through you air box. Also I understand it will help stop backfires on after market exhaust systems. You can not adjust the ECU/ECM or whatever they are called these days. I run a PCV but my understanding it it affects nothing on it either.

I use a water collector on my Turbo car from the PCV valve hose to where it empties into my turbo intake, you should see the oil I trap that would be cooked on my rotor blades by now.

This allows it to be spent out the exhaust instead of being trapped or recirculate into your fresh air tract.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is an Air Induction system removing or eliminating emissions or just diluting the emissions with additional air flow? Or is the additional air flow intentionally causing detonation in the exhaust causing the popping we are hearing with after market exhaust? For mister question’s last question of the day. Is the same amount of exhaust detonation going on with factory exhaust as in aftermarket exhaust but just masked by more restrictive mufflers?

So is an Air Induction system removing or eliminating emissions or just diluting the emissions with additional air flow? Or is the additional air flow intentionally causing detonation in the exhaust causing the popping we are hearing with after market exhaust? For mister question’s last question of the day. Is the same amount of exhaust detonation going on with factory exhaust as in aftermarket exhaust but just masked by more restrictive mufflers?
My understanding is dilution with additional air flow. Not sure on you last question entirely, I would say the less restrictive exhaust adds to the issue, but if it really creates it, or just makes it more apparent I can not say.

Hopefully some one will come along on that question.

the stock system allows fresh air to get into the exhaust to help burn off extra fuel that is in there when the engine is cold. Hence the weird popping noises that you hear if you engine brake when the engine is still cool the first few blocks from home. With an aftermarket exhaust it is much louder and called the 'decel pop'. Either way its harmless.

When you do this install, what do you do with the port that goes into the airbox to plug that? I believe that hole in the airbox would bypass the filter if memory serves me right.

When you do this install, what do you do with the port that goes into the airbox to plug that? I believe that hole in the airbox would bypass the filter if memory serves me right.

I plugged mine with a rubber plug in the hose with some RTV.

SQUEAL you gain the space and you do not have all that recirculated crap running through you air box. Also I understand it will help stop backfires on after market exhaust systems. You can not adjust the ECU/ECM or whatever they are called these days. I run a PCV but my understanding it it affects nothing on it either.

I use a water collector on my Turbo car from the PCV valve hose to where it empties into my turbo intake, you should see the oil I trap that would be cooked on my rotor blades by now.

This allows it to be spent out the exhaust instead of being trapped or recirculate into your fresh air tract.
If I understand it right, the reed valves prevent backflow, so the flow should be only one way, from air box to engine and out the exhaust. The PCV system is entirely different.

If I understand it right, the reed valves prevent backflow, so the flow should be only one way, from air box to engine and out the exhaust. The PCV system is entirely different.
Yes this is my understanding also. And yes PCV is a completely different animal.

I do remember a post on someone who had pulled the reed valves and they were dripping and really nasty looking and looked like they might not even function. I wish I could find the post.

The other thing is the bottom of the plates I pulled definitely were black and coated. Not wet but coated as if powder coated.

I did this to clean up the bay and to see if it would stop some of the decel popping I experience with the Two Brother Cans I run.

It really is a systematic approach I got into my pointed head. I wanted to remove the PAIR first, then do a full TB sync, and then see if adjustments need to be made to the PC V map.

All I can say at this point is I am pleased with the product in that it cleans the engine bay up very nicely. Any thing else it brings to the table is bonus.

I finally got around to installing mine last night, they look good, don't they?! I had some rubber caps covering the openings to the stock covers before and always wondered when they'd start leaking. No more worries! It should make absolutely no difference to your PCV map. All the PAIR valve does is inject air from the airbox into the exhaust port to allows those nasty leftover hydrocarbons to burn before reaching your delicate little cats!

One more bonus of the Wynpro plates is it should make it easier to remove the cam cover when you check your valves. I had a hell of a time getting it out under the water pipe!