Airhawk Cushion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deagle

Reaction score
Trying to order one, but am caught between the Medium cruiser (14x14 but looks to taper like FJR seat) or the Large Pillion (which fits some sport bikes and is more long and rectangular).

Anyone know the right fit?

Trying to order one, but am caught between the Medium cruiser (14x14 but looks to taper like FJR seat) or the Large Pillion (which fits some sport bikes and is more long and rectangular).

Just get a custom seat... by the time you play with all the pads and stuff, you'll end up spending as much money anyway... Dont' ask how I know.... :(

A picec of curly sheepskin works well... you can just bungee it on. and its lots cheaper.

Mary

Yes, 14"x14". I got mine from Cruiser Customizing from a rep. that confessed he had an FJR amongst the sea of his chrome work brethren. It helped by making my stock 75 mile seat into a 150 mile seat. But, put it on the shelf now that I've got a 300 mile custom Rick Mayer seat.

Yes, 14"x14". I got mine from Cruiser Customizing from a rep. that confessed he had an FJR amongst the sea of his chrome work brethren. It helped by making my stock 75 mile seat into a 150 mile seat. But, put it on the shelf now that I've got a 300 mile custom Rick Mayer seat.
You want to sell the airhawk?

:dribble:

I just rode to Alaska. IMHO :dribble: you dont need an airhawk with the FJR. Infact, I never used mine, I was more confortable without it. I used the small one which is perfect for the fjr seat.

Medium Cruiser is the size that I bought. Fits the FJR well.

The Airhawk worked really well for me. Allows me to do really long rides with no monkeybutt. For example, when I did my Ironbutt ride from Arizona to Chicago last summer, I rode 1820 miles in 24 hours. Parts of body I didn't even know I had began getting sore, however, no butt issues whatsoever. It works, plain and simple. Only negative is the "sitting on a fat lady's lap" squishy feeling. But for comfort, it's great. I am currently running a Rick Mayer seat. I still have to get more miles with it, but I don't think it's quite as comfy as the Airhawk. No squishy feeling, but not as comfortable for the really long rides. For reference, I can do 300-600 mile days with the stock seat before monkeybutt starts setting in. Usually depends on temperature and choice of underclothing. (Bicycle shorts rock for LD riding).

Some piccies of the Airhawk in action:

Airhawk2.jpg

ValEricsWedding013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about offering it up, but think I'm going to hold on to it just in case. I just rode a 1500 mile loop of Washington and got wet early on in the crotch area and was a bit rashed up by the end of the ride. Might come in handy for my upcoming Utah 1088 or SPANK 5 day rally.

Also, I've taken it to a football game before. Those hard concrete seats suddenly become a lot nicer.

Thanks for the pictures! I was thinking the medium cruiser size was the way to go, and it looks like it fits really well.

I've put 18,000 miles on my '04, but nothing very long in a day.

Hoping this adds some miles for seat comfort.

I just rode a 1500 mile loop of Washington and got wet early on in the crotch area and was a bit rashed up by the end of the ride.
That's just too easy...

Oops!
I know....I know. I got mocked by my LD colleagues for taking 30 hours to do it. Would like to have tried 24 hours, but I couldn't imagine doing it without hurting myself or taken to jail.

I just rode a 1500 mile loop of Washington and got wet early on in the crotch area and was a bit rashed up by the end of the ride.
That's just too easy...

Oops!
I know....I know. I got mocked by my LD colleagues for taking 30 hours to do it. Would like to have tried 24 hours, but I couldn't imagine doing it without hurting myself or taken to jail.
I just put on a medium cruiser on my 06, best accessory I ever bought. Ride for a hour stand up and sit again and it feels like a new seat. I've tried many seats, (never a Mayer) in my 500,000 miles and 30 years of riding and this thing works. Follow the directions and start with very low air and you'll love it.

You also might want to take a look at beadrider. Looks dumb, but it works for me, and it's much cheaper.
FJ1300%20A.JPG
+1 on the beaded seat.

My buts think I'm crazy. But I bought a cheap on (15 bucks) from a vendor at a rally, after having my arse on fire for most of the trip up.

I strapped the ugliest beads to my seat, but it allowed my nether regions to stay ventilated and cool, and staying dry is half the battle.

Not to mention you can always shift a bit and get new pressure points.

I've got the bead rider on order now (the old seat I had was one size fits all and went away with my old bike), preparing for my trip to Indianapolis this summer (United States Grand Prix).

Yes, they're ugly. But they really work. When you price compare to the air hawk, it's no contest . . and I saw a review somewhere that rated beads right up there with the air hawk.

I got a large on the front and a small for the passenger. Also, I have a set of like new beaded cushions for sale from Whitehorse $10 less than Whitehorse wants for them.+shipping

You also might want to take a look at beadrider. Looks dumb, but it works for me, and it's much cheaper.
How can you tell it works with your key in the sidebag? :) You can't get away with anything around here.

PS I like my beaded seat, airflow = good!

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a beadrider and tried it. It felt like I was sitting on a bunch of rocks. Didn't like it.

GP

Latest posts