Almost 12K miles from Roadsmart

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
While the front Roadsmarts are not a good match for the FJR the rear tire does quite well. After almost 12K miles I'm about to replace the rear. That's as good a mileage as I've gotten from any rear tire and it's been more consistent than others throughout its life.

On other forums, there are a few reported cases of belt separation, but they are known as a tire that lasts a bit longer. Still love the origianal Z6's that lasted 10K, trying the Interac version now to see how they compare.

I'm very impressed by your mileage on the RS. :clapping: I thought TennDOT roads were coarser...like AR and MO?

I usually get 7k to 8k, but last years' TBA AAD really sanded my rear RS down. I will be getting about 6k on it. Of course I am a weenie and don't ride on the cords. :rolleyes:

I have well over 10K on front and rear Roadsmarts. They're my second set and I've been very happy with them. I suspect those who haven't may tip the scales a little more than my 190 lbs.

We must be getting bad batches of roadsmarts because we average 4-5k on a set....... :eek:

I have well over 10K on front and rear Roadsmarts. They're my second set and I've been very happy with them. I suspect those who haven't may tip the scales a little more than my 190 lbs.
I dont tip scales at much if any more than 190 & I am running my first roadsmart rear right now. I've got maybe 5,000 miles on it if that & I am approaching wear bars. Expect to be well into them in another 1 to 2,000 miles.

So, don't much believe that theory.

I dont tip scales at much if any more than 190 & I am running my first roadsmart rear right now. I've got maybe 5,000 miles on it if that & I am approaching wear bars. Expect to be well into them in another 1 to 2,000 miles.
So it must be riding style. I don't think you can blame the tires for that. You won't get much out of PR2s either.

So it must be riding style. I don't think you can blame the tires for that. You won't get much out of PR2s either.
I know the guys who are lucky enough to live in GA/NC/TN and actually "ride" vs. what I refer to commute don't typically get more than 4-5K out of any brand of tires. That tends to add up in $$ but you know being stuck in a dried up swam like S. Flori-duh with no decent roads for 800 miles and getting 8+K out of the rear - I would swap with them any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I look at tires same as I do at gas, all things considered these are the cheapest items on the bike :)

It's a number of things of course:

-the tire itself

-throttle action delivering power to the wheel

-the road surface coarseness

-ambient temperature and tire temperature

These things boil down to two things (think cheese grater)

- how soft the rubber (cheese) is

- how hard and how often you grate/scuff your tire(cheese) against the road on average per mile