Alternate engine armour?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedcricket

You have whiskey?
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing this will be a lost cause, but I'll ask...

I would love to buy the TayProTec cover for my FJR, but for $149 (before shipping, etc) it seems a little steep. Are there alternate sources, especially in the states?

Then, would it be any cheaper?

There was a discussion earlier about a shortage of carbon fiber but I can't find any other threads using a google search of this site.

TC,

The only other manufacturer of CF protectors for the FJR (to the best of my knowledge) is Geelong Carbon Craft in Australia - Geelong

The Geelong product is much thicker - however it's $199.00 AU which after shipping and exchange rates will still be north of $200.00 or so.

A lot of CF stuff out there is only partially functional, and mainly cosmetic. The CF engine case protectors are fully functional - with cosmetics being second. Quite frankly, they're a cheap investment at even $200.00.

The TayProTec protectors are thinner than the Geelong - I know this as I've had my hands on both of them and been able to compare. However, they are more money - so I suppose 'you get what you pay for' holds true in this case.

But again - to answer your question - there are only two manufacturers that I know of.

For that kind of money you might be able to just carry a spare alt. cover. A friend of mine did just that a few years ago. I seem to remember it was like $60 but that seems too cheap. Might be worth a call.

Edit: I just looked up the alt cover at Ron Ayers and they're $67.16 for all years

Last edited by a moderator:
What does a spare stator cost?

The idea behind the CF covers is to prevent dramatic oil loss when the stator cover is penetrated by asphalt. It's not there to protect the cover - it's there to protect the engine.

What does a spare stator cost?
The idea behind the CF covers is to prevent dramatic oil loss when the stator cover is penetrated by asphalt. It's not there to protect the cover - it's there to protect the engine.
Not just the cost of the stator would be considered. I think you'd have to factor in the cost of towing/hauling the bike to a dealership, the shop time to replace and the replacement parts cost.

Unless rick means to cover the existing cover with the new cover :blink:

Dang you for posting that Geelong link kaitsdad - now I'm waiting for a return email with a quote for the stator cover and those secksy looking tank carbon fiber tank protectors.

Are any of the listed brands the one carried by Bike Johnny? If not, then there's that one to consider, too. I've had mine since 2003 and am happy with the investment.

I just ordered the Geelong.

With the currency conversion and shipping the cost was almost identical (yikes) and based on kaitsdad's recommendation I didn't think I could go wrong.

I know a few people with the TayProTec from Bike Johnny. So far, knock on noggin, no one has had to test the protection capabilities.

My original CF stator cover protector was well worth the investment. I low sided on a left hand curve, dropping off the pavement with a hard impact into the stator cover. The end result was a trashed CF protector, a cracked stator cover, and a slow oil leak. The result without the CF protector would have been a trashed stator, large oil leak, and inability to ride the bike back to Las Vegas from a low-volume Sierra Nevada mountain pass road (Hwy 108). You won't be disappointed IF you go down on the left side and are still able to ride home.

Last edited by a moderator:
My original CF stator cover protector was well worth the investment. I low sided on a left hand curve, dropping off the pavement with a hard impact into the stator cover. The end result was a trashed CF protector, a cracked stator cover, and a slow oil leak. The result without the CF protector would have been a trashed stator, large oil leak, and inability to ride the bike back to Las Vegas from a low-volume Sierra Nevada mountain pass road (Hwy 108). You won't be disappointed IF you go down on the left side and are still able to ride home.
So I should have bought two? :rolleyes:

Latest posts