AMA Superbike Finals Sunday March 22nd

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Sunday were the finals of the AMA Superbike Challenge at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA. The weather was rather nasty Sunday morning raining off and on until almost noon, and it was windy all day. We used our free passes from the AMA for helping out (see here), we had a blast roaming the pits where most could not go. It was great!

Some observations I was really disappointed that almost no one, I mean no one was there. There was maybe 75-100 bikes in the infield lot and outside the parking lot it looked like there was only a few hundred cars. The infield lot had more cars and motor homes, still I bet there were no more then a few thousand people. The vendors were sparse and so were the spectators. I know the rain may have had a factor but this was a real low turn out. I enjoyed having absolutely zero traffic going home and could easily navigate around the venues. Supermoto was fun to watch too. I feel for the AMA and the money loss they must have felt, but are we in SoCal not interested in AMA Pro Raodracing? AMA Supercross is huge sell outs all over. Interesting.

Daytona Sport Bike was an awesome class I enjoyed watching them more then the American Superbike class. The racing was closer in competition, more dicing for position and many tight little groups jockeying for position. Great passing and racing all around. Danny Eslick did an awesome job, a well deserved win.

The American Superbike was very spread out all over the field right after the first lap. They had to restart the race due to a crash. The second start Hayden got the jump, but by the end of the first lap Mladin was back in the lead. There were large gaps between riders, and Mladin started lapping people about mid way through the race. Hayden started falling back quickly and about mid race Hayden was 10 seconds behind Mladin. Yates had issues early on and didn't do well at all. Mladin ran away with this one.

Still a great day seeing these guys ride, they're incredible!

GunMD got some great racing action pix from Saturday, see them here.

100_1639-1.jpg

Weather shot. Look closely near the clouds and the mountains near the sunshine area of the mountains, we had snow during the early am in the local mountains there, snow level about 4K feet. The haze you see in the right third of the picture against the mountains, that's rain just POURING. Luckily it didn't get us.

100_16322-1.jpg

Opening ceremonies: Our US Marine Color Guard. That little girl with the microphone is 12 years old from Huntington Beach, she did an awesome job singing our National Anthem.

100_1620-1.jpg

Daytona Sport Bike getting ready on the grid during "Fan Walk." Everyone got to see the bikes up close just before the race.

100_16282-1.jpg

The Daytona Sport Bike class leaving the grid with the pace care for their rolling start.

000_00012-1.jpg

My son and I at the end of the pits at the chicane coming off the long straight. The American Superbikes are entering the chicane at about 140mph, they do about 180mph on the straight, these guys are MOVIN'! Great spot for some wild riding and passing around here.

100_16192-1.jpg

Here's your umbrella girl shot. Sorry I ruined the picture. Note were next to Danny Eslick's bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
100_16192-1.jpg
Here's your umbrella girl shot. Sorry I ruined the picture. Note were next to Danny Eslick's bike.
You saw my comment about her elsewhere. My only question is, were you really looking at the camera when the pic was taken..?? Dude, I know... ;)

Last edited by a moderator: