AMA VIR: SPOILERS!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
Holy cow! you want close racing? We got close racing!

6 guys duking it out in Daytona Sportbike race 1. Bobby Fong steals it on the final straight. Margin of victory, 0.000!!! That's right, goose eggs all the way across! Photo shows millimeters at the line! Gotta feel for Josh Herrin, though, taken out in turn 1 lap 1 by a bonzai move on someone else's part, dude forgot to slow down for the turn.

5, then 4, then 3 guys duking it out in Superbike race 1. Tommy Hayden steals it from B-Boz on the final straight, by 0.008, and runs into the grass at what, 160, 170 mph?

Race 2 for each series running today, on TV later tonight on Speed.

Now to go watch the MotoGP I recorded earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sportbike race was good. I intended to watch Superbike race 1 last, but my stupid DVR had them mislabeled. When I clicked on the Sportbike event, it started with the interview with Fong after he won and then straight into Superbikes. The whole race I wondered how Fong would get into the top spot, then after the last corner I thought, I know he won, how's he gonna pull this off?

Good on B-Boz for running so well with that pin sticking out of his left thumb. It's possible I was tired and missed it, but did the fabulous Sheheen and speed crew more or less miss Hopkins crashing out of Superbike race 1?

The schedule on Speed was off by a couple of minutes, so the Sportbike show ran into the Superbike time slot. Kind of odd when it's tape delay. . . .

I think I remember Hopkins's crash, lost the back end of the bike, a few laps from the end.

Haven't seen last night's shows, yet, will be looking at those after work.

Race 2 in DSB - Herrin got payback, but, not by the guy that took him out. He took out Cory West in a banzai move. He got into turn 1 way too hot and was inside of West. Kinda stood it up and sent West into the grass. I'm not diggin' the way Herrin is racing. And it's not just me. After the race, if Eslick, Cardenes, or someone else wins, the others come up to congratulate him, give a thumbs up, etc. After Herrin's win, everyone just kinda buzzed by him without acknowledging him.

5 riders started the last lap in a tight group, 2 of them were sent off into the grass in turn 1. Could have been a helluva battle on the last lap, but, relatively calm compared to the previous laps and Saturday's finish. Was great to see Barney running up towards the front for a while.

BBoz is insane. Somehow he's running in the front without really gripping the left bar. Rather than have his thumb under the bar, he has it, along with his 4 fingers, above the bar. He's doing all of the steering by pushing with his palm or pulling back with his 4 fingers. Nasty nasty blisters on his hand.

Race 2 in DSB - Herrin got payback, but, not by the guy that took him out. He took out Cory West in a banzai move. He got into turn 1 way too hot and was inside of West. Kinda stood it up and sent West into the grass. I'm not diggin' the way Herrin is racing. And it's not just me. After the race, if Eslick, Cardenes, or someone else wins, the others come up to congratulate him, give a thumbs up, etc. After Herrin's win, everyone just kinda buzzed by him without acknowledging him. 5 riders started the last lap in a tight group, 2 of them were sent off into the grass in turn 1. Could have been a helluva battle on the last lap, but, relatively calm compared to the previous laps and Saturday's finish. Was great to see Barney running up towards the front for a while.

BBoz is insane. Somehow he's running in the front without really gripping the left bar. Rather than have his thumb under the bar, he has it, along with his 4 fingers, above the bar. He's doing all of the steering by pushing with his palm or pulling back with his 4 fingers. Nasty nasty blisters on his hand.
I'm not sure I agree with you on Herrin's the last lap turn one deal. He certainly wasn't as banzai as a lot of other guys had been, and I think Cory was actually trying to pass him back on the outside, or just try to stay with him up to 2, and his leg hit Herrin's bike. It happened just as they went out of the shot, so it was hard to tell. Herrin may have had a "moment," though, and had to sit up just an instant to catch it. I kinda think Herrin had him, West tried to stay and had to crowd down on him. The other bike that went out to the grass (can't remember who it was, now) did so hisownself, just cooked it and had nowhere to go.

I did see Herrin looking around for some love on the way in, though!

Race 2 in DSB - Herrin got payback, but, not by the guy that took him out. He took out Cory West in a banzai move. He got into turn 1 way too hot and was inside of West. Kinda stood it up and sent West into the grass. I'm not diggin' the way Herrin is racing. And it's not just me. After the race, if Eslick, Cardenes, or someone else wins, the others come up to congratulate him, give a thumbs up, etc. After Herrin's win, everyone just kinda buzzed by him without acknowledging him. 5 riders started the last lap in a tight group, 2 of them were sent off into the grass in turn 1. Could have been a helluva battle on the last lap, but, relatively calm compared to the previous laps and Saturday's finish. Was great to see Barney running up towards the front for a while.

I'm not sure I agree with you on Herrin's the last lap turn one deal. He certainly wasn't as banzai as a lot of other guys had been, and I think Cory was actually trying to pass him back on the outside, or just try to stay with him up to 2, and his leg hit Herrin's bike. It happened just as they went out of the shot, so it was hard to tell. Herrin may have had a "moment," though, and had to sit up just an instant to catch it. I kinda think Herrin had him, West tried to stay and had to crowd down on him. The other bike that went out to the grass (can't remember who it was, now) did so hisownself, just cooked it and had nowhere to go.

I did see Herrin looking around for some love on the way in, though!
Seems to me this class is about bangin' bars and carrying corner speed. Watched Danny and others make aggressive moves just like Herrin.

I must say it makes for watching some mighty fine racing. These 600's here and in Moto Gp have really been the most entertaining Motorcycle racing this year.

What more can you say to a 0.000 finish!

Too bad the big bikes can't run this close the whole race.

I thought both class races were awesome. Looked like Ben had it all wrapped up coming out of the last turn until Tommy stole the win at the last second. What happened to Hopper? He was riding in 4th most of the race and finished 15th. I did not catch that.

I thought both class races were awesome. Looked like Ben had it all wrapped up coming out of the last turn until Tommy stole the win at the last second. What happened to Hopper? He was riding in 4th most of the race and finished 15th. I did not catch that.
Crashed with 4 laps to go.