An Additional Hobby Started

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockwells

Reaction score
Always been interested in military history, WWII in particular. Had a .45 a few years ago (stock .45 Colt 1991, Black, One Each) and sold it to help fund my bike habit. Now that I'm doing better, figured I'd splurge this time. Went shopping for a Colt .45 Commander, blued, w/ wooden grips. Local shop dosn't deal w/ Colt, but had a sale on Para's! Never heard a bad word about Para's, so picked up a 4.25 model, beautiful bluing, nice walnut grips, w/ a gold inlay in the grip. Adjustable rear sight, and w/ the three-dot highlights! What a sweetheart! Next buy will be an M-1 or a Thompson. Someday...

Always been interested in military history, WWII in particular. Had a .45 a few years ago (stock .45 Colt 1991, Black, One Each) and sold it to help fund my bike habit. Now that I'm doing better, figured I'd splurge this time. Went shopping for a Colt .45 Commander, blued, w/ wooden grips. Local shop dosn't deal w/ Colt, but had a sale on Para's! Never heard a bad word about Para's, so picked up a 4.25 model, beautiful bluing, nice walnut grips, w/ a gold inlay in the grip. Adjustable rear sight, and w/ the three-dot highlights! What a sweetheart! Next buy will be an M-1 or a Thompson. Someday...
I got it in my head a few months ago that I was going to buy a Sig Sauer X-Five in 9mm. Then I went shooting with a buddy of mine who is a retired Army Ranger. He wanted to shoot 1911s, so we did. Since then, I can't shake the need to shoot .45s. A local range rents Kimber Gold Match IIs for cheap, and I'm hooked. I'm tempted to take a picture of my best 7-shot pattern from last Friday night. Man, what an awesome weapon that Kimber is. It's just a dead on sweet machine.

Awhile back, I sold all my guns, The 9's, the .357's and even a .380..

And bought a Kimber Custom 45 . Fun to shoot, accuarate and all the gun I need.

KM

I use a Glock model 30 .45ACP for home protection and to plink at the lake or my camp in WV. Clip holds 13 rounds, so it's got both fire and put down power.

Very accurate for a pistol. I can hit beer cans at 50 yards no problem. And I'm not that great of a shooter.

Also will be inheriting at some point a '63 Colt 1911 .45 ACP that is parkerized, US Army issue. You can't hit anything with that gun unless it's VERY close and VERY big. Very inaccurate, but I suppose the intent of that gun is to use for close quarters.

I use a Glock model 30 .45ACP for home protection and to plink at the lake or my camp in WV. Clip holds 13 rounds, so it's got both fire and put down power.
Very accurate for a pistol. I can hit beer cans at 50 yards no problem. And I'm not that great of a shooter.

Also will be inheriting at some point a '63 Colt 1911 .45 ACP that is parkerized, US Army issue. You can't hit anything with that gun unless it's VERY close and VERY big. Very inaccurate, but I suppose the intent of that gun is to use for close quarters.
Match grade barrels are a plenty for than gun and would be well worth the investment. A proper barrel will also allow you to shoot lead and modern ammo instead of just fmj.

I have a Remingon Rand made GI issue 1911--purchased for 82.00. fitted with match barrel, lightened spring and bomar sights. .45's dont have near the recoil/muzzle flip that most think and are a hoot to shoot.

john

I have the 1991 Colt with some aftermarket parts and a good barrel. I recently bought the Ceiner 22lr kit and for the 200.00 investment you get two great guns. :)

I too always wanted an M-1. About 5 years ago I joined the Gun Club at Quantico (to qualify for the CMP) and bought one. I got a Harrington/Richardson that was rebuilt at the Red River Army Depot - a virtually brand new rifle!! H&R receiver and barrel with a Springfield Armory trigger group and bolt. I also got some ammo from them - military from ~1952. Believe it or not, I didn't get to shoot it until earlier this year -- what a great weapon! Way heavier than the M-16s I carried, but a great sound, smooth action, accurate, and I do love that sound when the 8th round is expended and the clip zings outta the weapon.

I haven't looked at their site lately (Civilian Marksmanship Program), but I think they have to be getting to the end of M-1 in storage -- if I were considering an M-1, I'd do it sooner rather than later. I'm keeping my eye on availability of their 1903 Springfields - not available right now, but I'll jump when they are.

At last count, I have 5 .45ACP pistols. I love them all for different reasons. If you are going to shoot a lot of .45, you should look into reloading. The .45 round is easy to reload, and you will save a good deal of money over time. The .45 brass is expensive, but with it being a relatively low pressure round, you can usually shoot the brass casings until the head-stamp is worn off.

At last count, I have 5 .45ACP pistols. I love them all for different reasons. If you are going to shoot a lot of .45, you should look into reloading. The .45 round is easy to reload, and you will save a good deal of money over time. The .45 brass is expensive, but with it being a relatively low pressure round, you can usually shoot the brass casings until the head-stamp is worn off.
Gunny on the reloading. All the local and state police forces use our range for training and often don't pick up their brass. I hate to see that "litter" cluttering up our range and politely pick it up for them on occasion. I just sold a bunch of it but usually have a nice inventory of 9s, 40s, and 45 brass as well as 223. I keep more than enough for reloading.

I also have a large collection of many different rifle and pistol caliber brass, once fired, that I've been collecting for decades. PM me for your needs.

Kimber Stainless Gold Match (Spec Edition) with a serrated flat-top slide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, forgot to mention my favorite .45 is my Les Bear Monolith Heavy weight, which I had Les customize for me. His shop is only a few hours from my house, and I was able to talk him into sitting down and going through what I wanted out of the gun. Not cheap, but over 50K rounds later it still runs like a champ.

I have a Springfield Milspec 45. But my favorite 45 is a single action wheelgun - Ruger 45 colt. Charlie Hoss probably appreciates this one. :cowboy:

Glocks

20 10MM 6" SS barrel

22 40 cal 6" SS barrel

27 40 cal compact

Dillon 550B reloader

Darn FJR glove box is too small, Glock 27 fits nicely in my ST1100.

I too always wanted an M-1. About 5 years ago I joined the Gun Club at Quantico (to qualify for the CMP) and bought one. I got a Harrington/Richardson that was rebuilt at the Red River Army Depot - a virtually brand new rifle!! H&R receiver and barrel with a Springfield Armory trigger group and bolt. I also got some ammo from them - military from ~1952. Believe it or not, I didn't get to shoot it until earlier this year -- what a great weapon! Way heavier than the M-16s I carried, but a great sound, smooth action, accurate, and I do love that sound when the 8th round is expended and the clip zings outta the weapon. I haven't looked at their site lately (Civilian Marksmanship Program), but I think they have to be getting to the end of M-1 in storage -- if I were considering an M-1, I'd do it sooner rather than later. I'm keeping my eye on availability of their 1903 Springfields - not available right now, but I'll jump when they are.
I inherited a springfield 1903/a3 that my father bought in an nra surplus sale--similar to, if not with cooperation of, the cmp program. Nice rifle with a little history. 1903's in anything but rack grade are becoming hard to get.

John