An Additional Hobby Started

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colt Delta Gold Cup enhanced 45. Really nice and smooth after the gunsmith I use got done with it. For a real eye opener go to some combat shoots. These guys are good.

Yeah, last time I looked at the CMP site they didn't have any 03's for sale. My Grandfather picked up a Mauser 98 carbine during WWI. The 8mm (7.92) isn't the best cartridge, but it's interesting to shoot. One of the loudest, if not the loudest, rifles I've ever shot! Made in Germany (Erfurt) as opposed to the numerous other Mausers you can find that were made in South America or other countrys under license. Unfortunately, my Grandfather had the stock "sporterized" so the military stock is truncated. Still, good weapon with some history.

Love my 1911A1, great shooter. Getting back into shooting again, now the FJR is fairly well farkled.

Bought a S/W M&P 15 for Christmas. first AR type rifle, very sweet. Just bought a case of .223 from a guy in Turner, Maine. Charlie, is that you?

Looking for a nice Garand and 1903A3 also

First - I am in no way, shape, or form associated with the CMP -- I provide this link as information to interested persons.

Before getting too excited, you need to read the requirements you have to meet to buy a rifle from these folks. Much, much easier if you're former military.

Just went to the site and the 1903/1903A1s are sold out. Expect a few from a Veteran's org, condition unknown, for sale in Jan 09.

There are M1s for sale. You need to read the "Grade" comments to see exactly what they mean. I got a Harrington and Richardson "service" grade and can tell you that it is basically a brand new (rebuilt) rifle -- your rifle is the "next one available" and it's the luck of the draw.

There are also M1 Carbines for sale.

Civilian Marksmanship Program

Bought a S/W M&P 15 for Christmas. first AR type rifle, very sweet. Just bought a case of .223 from a guy in Turner, Maine. Charlie, is that you?
pickax,

No, it wasn't me, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the guy I bought my Bushmaster from, G3 Firearms. He does a lot of internet business, is really in to full autos. :vinsent:

Charlie

I have a Springfield Milspec 45. But my favorite 45 is a single action wheelgun - Ruger 45 colt. Charlie Hoss probably appreciates this one. :cowboy:
Very popular for Cowboy Action Shooting! I use 2 Vaqueros, 7 1/2 bbls, in 44 MAG, Marlin 1894 also 44 MAG, and a Stoeger 12 ga double.

Girlfriend shoots 2 Blackhawks, also 44 MAG, 5 1/2 bbls. We got into 44 MAGS because when we first started the sport locally in 1997 we only used one six shooter and I had a Super Blackhawk 3 screw model. Still have it but don't use it for CAS anymore.

Rest assured that I don't use full magnum loads. I reload with 200 gr lead bullets at around 750 fps, a very pleasant load to shoot all day at about half the velocity of a full power load. We shoot about 130 rds per match at steel targets. Read about it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love my 1911A1, great shooter. Getting back into shooting again, now the FJR is fairly well farkled.

I too bought an Smith M&P15. It is just about as accurate as one wold expect from an off-the-shelf AR. I will be floating the barrel and adding an adjustable gas block to add some accuracy. It is already outfitted with an ACOG. Mine is an earlier M&P so it has a Stag barrel. Smith is building their own rifle barrels now, so you may have a smith barrel. They are supposed to be very good barrels. Have loadf of fun with you new toy. .223 rem is in short supply and $ keep rising. Time for a dillon press. :D

John

The beauty of the AR design is that with some basic mechanical / machine skills, all you need is a vise, a barrel adapter for the vise, a drill press, some punches, a spanner wrench and a few basic tools, you can build one to any exterme you want. I used to be an addict (it was my USMC issue rifle after all) but I went to M1 type rifles because I got tired of gas venting in my face.

JP Enterprises gets my vote for AR based rifles. If you don't mind spending some $$ anyway.

Nice rifles. I liked the machined receivers. Take a look at their video showing their products. I tried to track down one of the laminated stocks and even went as far as begging to buy a damaged or prototype from them but no dice.

j

The beauty of the AR design is that with some basic mechanical / machine skills, all you need is a vise, a barrel adapter for the vise, a drill press, some punches, a spanner wrench and a few basic tools, you can build one to any exterme you want. I used to be an addict (it was my USMC issue rifle after all) but I went to M1 type rifles because I got tired of gas venting in my face.
Oh my!!! There are so many statements I could make that end with the clause "because I got tired of gas venting in my face." This will be fun. I love Wednesdays!

I have a Kimber .45 that I use on duty... .45 is the best pistol round out there.. no doubt

OK.... look, AR15-M16 rifles are bieng made by everyone...a smith is a very good firearm maker, but the revolvers where their strong point. not to say their AR is BAD, but probably the same as the Bushmaster/Rockriver/wilson combat etc... the price they are asking is high...I bought a Bush Master M4 for 750+, I have used it for 5 years shot 100's of rds with good acuracy and performance, hardly cleaned it with no jams..I sold it Today to fix my 04 FJR...My advise is to buy AMMO...AMMO... the price on this will tripple as copper goes up

Very popular for Cowboy Action Shooting! I use 2 Vaqueros, 7 1/2 bbls, in 44 MAG, Marlin 1894 also 44 MAG, and a Stoeger 12 ga double.
Girlfriend shoots 2 Blackhawks, also 44 MAG, 5 1/2 bbls. We got into 44 MAGS because when we first started the sport locally in 1997 we only used one six shooter and I had a Super Blackhawk 3 screw model. Still have it but don't use it for CAS anymore.

Rest assured that I don't use full magnum loads. I reload with 200 gr lead bullets at around 750 fps, a very pleasant load to shoot all day at about half the velocity of a full power load. We shoot about 130 rds per match at steel targets. Read about it here.
Yep, I do the CAS thing also. I use two vaqueros, a 4-5/8" barrel sherrifs and 3-3/4" birdshead. I reload with 200 gr also, but 45s at about 650 fps. My wife shoots a Stogie double also, but my shotgun is a Winnie 87. Love the levers... Woody Jr

My local arms dealer had a nice selection of pre-war through post-war Russian M91/30's and M77 Carbines. I got my pick of the litter on one of the M91/30's. A 1938 (pre-war guns are made with more care to the details like machining and finishing).

Built like a tank, balances like a 2x4, cheap ammo. $89! They come with vintage cleaning kit, sling and bayonette. These guns are getting even more popular and the ammo is plentifull and inexpensive.

I've always bought new guns but this vintage M91/30 is quite a nice peice.

You can get them everywhere.

I just test fired my DPMS LR 's new fluted barrel, with muzzle brake. What a sweet shooting gun this is.

I have a M1A that I really like but this new SASS is so much easier to maintain. No grease on the face when you fire it.

A friend just offered to sell me his Garand (not sure if this is his match grade one or not), I like the fact that it's an 30-06 but I really don't care for the clips, (or Garand thumb) I prefer magazines.

I think it is time to upgrade the M1A.

Has anyone looked at the Taurus 1911 and its variants, I have seen some good reviews on it?

Bob

Mr Evil - now I remember why we used to put duct tape (green of course) when the upper receiver and stock group meet!

Bushmaster AR-15 clone with 24 inch fluted barrel tubular hand gurad , picatinny riser with simmons 6x14X50mm scope.

Glock 17

Glock 22 with trtium sites and extra 24 slide with tasco aimpoint and 3.5 lb trigger

Taurus raging bull in 480 ruger with 4x scope. Impressivly accurate for such a cannon. I could shoot a coat hanger off a tree limb at 25 yards. Stolen from my moms house.

Associated 22. rifles and pistols and some antuique saturday night specials I'd be afraid to shoot.

Tactical Shotgun

and my lastes aquisition....AMT 45 Hardballer Longslide. I jst need a pen light to put a laser in the tip to have Arnie's gun in Terminator

Those Kimber .45's are sweet!

I couldn't afford one, so I got a very slightly used stainless Colt Gold Cup.... now I need to find a good gunsmith in Texas... it needs a bit of smoothing and trigger adjusting...

mary