Angles keep watch in sleet and rain.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frushlorton

Reaction score
I know I have been in need of a new front tire for a while. The Battleax was cupped and worn. I decided to wait until I completed the ERC. After the course I knew I needed a tire before continuing to commute daily and finally decided to try the Angels out. So, I explain to my wife how unsafe it is and how I need it now. I stopped in at Colman Power Sports in Woodbridge. The dealer had never heard of them but was able to get them ordered in two days w/ the TPS for the recall.

Since soccer games were canceled due to weather, I procede to ride to dealership in the rain (on the unsafe tire) for the install. They offered to let it stay over the weekend untill Tues as I live an 45 away. I decline and start back just after dark from Woodbridge to Fredericksburg. I needed to scub them in but where? A lady on a Duc had just dumped on exiting the parking lot w/ new tires 30 min prior. Everytime I touched the rear brake the abs kicked in. At Potomac Mills Mall, I found the perfect "track". The IKEA parking garage. I spent 25 min repeating every tight turning exercise I could think of in such a tight area.

The ride home sucked. 20 miles of slab w/ my wife following. It started to sleet for a while and the lines disappeared, due to the rain, on the back country roads where I live. I stopped and talked to a man at the shopping center prior to the final 7 miles. This was two fold. I needed to follow tail lights as it was now pouring and there are no shoulders, only ditches and trees. This also ensured my wife and kid would not have the opportunity to see me wipe out if it went bad. He actually led me all the way to my neighborhood.

I must say, the tire stuck great. After the slight scrubbing I could do, they never gave me any concern. I have only ridden two short rides since but initial impression is great. Very smooth and sticky. Turn-in is vastly improved. I hope to get out for some twistys soon and will post report.

Wow, new tires AND snow! Gutsy!
What's the sealer soak you for, if you don't mind my asking?
The sleet was only for a short while and the temps were 42. The issue w/ the visibility was the glare and the fact I could not keep enough speed to clear the visor.

The tires were $267 out the door to match an on-line deal I had. I paid $90 for the install including filling w/ nitrogen.

The sleet was only for a short while and the temps were 42. The issue w/ the visibility was the glare and the fact I could not keep enough speed to clear the visor.

The tires were $267 out the door to match an on-line deal I had. I paid $90 for the install including filling w/ nitrogen.

Jeez I can't type!

Price seems good, but nitrogen? I thought that was an urban legend. (no hijack intended)

Jeez I can't type!

Price seems good, but nitrogen? I thought that was an urban legend. (no hijack intended)
Nitrogen does make a difference when the temps change significantly. It doesn't expand and contract like the air out of your air hose.

I wish I had put some Nitro in my tires before my trip to the west last month. temps went from 110F to 37F and had to keep adjusting the pressures to keep the turns comfortable. Alot of shops around here are starting to use it.

Frushlorton

Glad you made it home ok. I don't know if I would have continued through that muck. I haven't heard of those tires, but I will start researching. Keep us posted on how they work out. I'm tired of my front tires feathering before there time.

Last edited by a moderator: