Annual trip - I'm back and I'm tired

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkirk

Reaction score
Well, I just return from our annual bike trip. We spent a week down in the Robbinsville,NC area and I must say, I've been there many times and I continue to love it. The weather was awesome and the roads just make you want to keep riding every day until the sun goes down. We did the Dragon, Moonshiner 28, Skyway, Blue Ridge, Foothills Parkway, Blood Mountain, etc. This was my first trip on the FJR and this is the bike for me for many years to come. I was a little worried on how it would handle compared to my previous bikes, but this thing just lays down the miles and handled very well. Anyway, I'm ready for my own bed tonight, but ready for our next trip.

Jeff

140z1vr.jpg

2cet5w9.jpg

2nkjs8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you enjoyed the ride. Nice pics on the Dragon. I think I'll save them and tell folks that's me...LOL

I'll be doing a week long trip there too in early June. Nice roads and hope the weather holds for me.

Bill

Thanks for the report and great pics, but I'm a little squeamish with such lean angles and only wearing jeans (if they are armoured jeans then please ignore the rest of this reply. . .) for potential protection on your lower body. God forbid, you should go down.

I'd say treat yourself to a good pair of proper riding pants since you obviously like giv'n 'er in the twisties - warm weather and climate not withstanding.

It only takes one minor "incident" to cause alot of pain and it could happen to any of us at any time.

Not wanting to lecture, just sayin' . . .

Thanks for the report and great pics, but I'm a little squeamish with such lean angles and only wearing jeans (if they are armoured jeans then please ignore the rest of this reply. . .) for potential protection on your lower body. God forbid, you should go down.

I'd say treat yourself to a good pair of proper riding pants since you obviously like giv'n 'er in the twisties - warm weather and climate not withstanding.

It only takes one minor "incident" to cause alot of pain and it could happen to any of us at any time.

saxman,

I am unable to even express how ironic your words are. I had this conversation with myself no less than 100 times before I left for the trip. Even more ironic, I have the matching Joe Rocket leather lowers that match my jacket in the closet. As the years pass by I find myself searching for more comfort while riding...hence the purchase of the FJR last August. I'm not trying to justify why I decided to go with the jeans, but here is my experience that ultimately lead to my decision. For 41 years I have been riding bikes, most of the time I road them and several times they road me. More often than not, here is the outcome from my experiences and coming upon others that have gone down (more than I wish to count with the trips I have been on). My main priorities when gearing up has always been starting at my feet and working up. Serious injuries seem to start with ankles (they just seem to break all the time in a bad accident) and then the core of the body...back, collar bone, neck, ribs, etc. That is why I refused to give up the good boots with ankle support along with the good padded jacket with back, ribs, and collar bone protection along with the gloves. The helmet just goes without saying. I can live with rash on the legs, but the rest is serious and potentially life changing. Again, this is my own justification and I admit freely my own experiences may be way off actual statistics. Anyway, your words ring true and have me re-evaluating my decision. I take no offense and your words were not taken as a lecture. We in the biking community stick together and watch out for one another...that is what you are doing. Thank you and ride safe.

Jeff

saxman,

I am unable to even express how ironic your words are. I had this conversation with myself no less than 100 times before I left for the trip. Even more ironic, I have the matching Joe Rocket leather lowers that match my jacket in the closet. As the years pass by I find myself searching for more comfort while riding...hence the purchase of the FJR last August. I'm not trying to justify why I decided to go with the jeans, but here is my experience that ultimately lead to my decision. For 41 years I have been riding bikes, most of the time I road them and several times they road me. More often than not, here is the outcome from my experiences and coming upon others that have gone down (more than I wish to count with the trips I have been on). My main priorities when gearing up has always been starting at my feet and working up. Serious injuries seem to start with ankles (they just seem to break all the time in a bad accident) and then the core of the body...back, collar bone, neck, ribs, etc. That is why I refused to give up the good boots with ankle support along with the good padded jacket with back, ribs, and collar bone protection along with the gloves. The helmet just goes without saying. I can live with rash on the legs, but the rest is serious and potentially life changing. Again, this is my own justification and I admit freely my own experiences may be way off actual statistics. Anyway, your words ring true and have me re-evaluating my decision. I take no offense and your words were not taken as a lecture. We in the biking community stick together and watch out for one another...that is what you are doing. Thank you and ride safe.

Jeff
Jeff:

I have always been of the same thought pattern as you. I'm starting to question my way of thinking though as well. I had a good friend that went down in a pretty bad one last summer. He has recovered from most of his injuries, but the one that is still nagging him is the skin abrasions to his legs. He has had several skin graft surgeries and is still going through them now. I know this is the extreme case, buy it has made me reconsider spending the money to properly protect my legs.

... Here's a link to have your Jeans and eat it too!...https://www.dragginje...ductid=JEANS_03...
...Do you or anyone else here know of a good pair of riding pants (that you won't roast in)...
I've got Draggin Jeans, they are HOT and offer no impact protection. I wear armored, high denier mesh cargo pants that is cool and comfortable in the summer. With the wind/rain liner they are warm in the late fall and early spring and they are also sufficiently water resistant for all but monsoon rain. The knee armor is preformed making them comfortable and the full leg zippers makes it fast and easy to get in and out.

Some things:

1. If you shift your weight off the seat, you'll lean less and have more cornering clearance. You can choose to use this to go faster, or to increase your safety margin. But do it right or you'll look like a poseur.

2. Leg protection. I like your attitude so let me add the following:

2a. Road rash, like burns from fire, can be life-threatening. Think "The Rule Of Nines", pathways to infection, dehydration, tissue necrosis. I won't go into details.

2b. Leg trauma will put you in a wheelchair much faster than arm / torso trauma and whatever affects your mobility will have an enormous impact on your life. Don't downplay the importance of legs in your life. Personally I'd rather lose an arm than a leg.

2c. Used to have Hood Jeans. Much beefier than denim, but still very hot and no impact protection. 1-pc Roadcrafter is awesome: get airflow when moving, and when not moving, 30 seconds and I'm in a wicking t-shirt and compression shorts (I've slid in my stich and it didn't melt to my skin). It also insulates my shins from the FJR's heat.

Can't wait for my own road trip to start ... :yahoo:

... Here's a link to have your Jeans and eat it too!...https://www.dragginje...ductid=JEANS_03...
...Do you or anyone else here know of a good pair of riding pants (that you won't roast in)...
I've got Draggin Jeans, they are HOT and offer no impact protection. I wear armored, high denier mesh cargo pants that is cool and comfortable in the summer. With the wind/rain liner they are warm in the late fall and early spring and they are also sufficiently water resistant for all but monsoon rain. The knee armor is preformed making them comfortable and the full leg zippers makes it fast and easy to get in and out.
Brand please