Another Aux. Light Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has tried these lights:

41R4P9A3TBL__SS500_.jpg

For the money I know you would probably be better off going with the soltek lights, but I believe there have been some issues with the weight of the Solteks.

It is the Hella Micro DE Xenon light, which is available in a "Driving" light pattern.

Just wondering if anyone might have tried them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do believe those are the lights that Warchild has on his 'busa. He would be the one to ask.

I do believe those are the lights that Warchild has on his 'busa.
Correct.

LD_ReconK8.jpg

HeadOn.jpg

MicroDE_RtQtr.jpg

They don't have quite the downrange punch of the PHIDs, and there is slightly less periphery coverage compared to the PHIDs, HOWEVER, aside from this, the overall "quality" of the light is significantly better than the PHIDs. You ability to discern contrast is much, MUCH higher with the Hella Micro DE lamps.

Spendy bastards, though. But the quality is extrodinary. Had I not accidently run across a NIB set off Amazon.com for ~$420, I would not have gotten them. They retail for something on the order of $730, IIRC.

Thanks for the replies guys! Time to start keeping an eye on Amazon and E-Bay......Oh, and find the money for them to start with. DAMN.

I've looked at these before and wondered how well they work.

Are these true HID lights, and therefore have the lower power consumption? (I'm pretty sure the answer is yes)

Are the ballasts integrated into the bulb/light assembly? (Again, pretty sure the answer is yes).

If thats the case are they as easy to wire as regular driving lights? Or to put it another way, could I simply unplug my old driving lights and simply use the same 12v feed that was driving the H3-55w bulbs to power the old lights, or is there still extra "hardware" that needs to be mounted?

- Colin

NO, these are not the HID versions. they make a HID version but the ballast is separate, and they look pretty big.

The HID version is D2S based, and the hella ballast I've seen is about 4.5"x4.5"x1" external. I'm pretty sure WC's are the HID version, as one of the other pics showed the lamp connector on the back.

Had 'em on my old Concours - I have one scratched up one left - the cases are magensium - they don't survive head-on collisions well. But I am shopping for a mate to the one I have and then I'll get myself a set of Garauld mirror mounts and install them on my FJR.

These lights are excellent - but the ballast is fairly large - however it IS a conventional D2s/ballast combo, so if you can find a smaller ballast for a D2S you can use it - then again, the one Hella uses will survive - those minaturised ones likely won't.

And the pics are indeed of the HID version.

You can get their 'fog light' variant (Micro DE, without the Xenon in the description) for very reasonable (as in less than $100 a set) on Ebay. They ARE very bright, but the reflectors are slightly longer and the light is somewhat yellow. The HIDs obviously blow them away.

NO, these are not the HID versions. they make a HID version but the ballast is separate, and they look pretty big.
It looks like I am wrong on this. From what I can tell, there are two versions, the For lamps, and the driving ones (HID). Since I was finding several of the higher priced kits that did not include "HID" in their description, I was hoping that there was a high performance version that wasn't "HID." Hiding the ballasts on a Gen II sounds like it is a pain in the butt.

Thanks for the replies guys! Time to start keeping an eye on Amazon and E-Bay......Oh, and find the money for them to start with. DAMN.
Just won an auction on Ebay today for my replacement set . . . . I hope you aren't the reason it jumped from $80 to $250 in the last 30 seconds.

Don't get me wrong - $255 is an EXCELLENT price, but $85 would have been nicer.

Waiting to hear back from Garauld on bracket costs & availablility . . . . . I have a 10 day trip coming up next month and as good as they may be, the stock lights are simply not good enough for me.