Another garmin ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not2shabby

Reaction score
The PO of my bike installed a Battery Tender lead that I keep tucked into the space behind the steering stem and I was wondering if I could use it to power my 2720? Just cut and splice a connector to mate with the BT lead? Would a fuse be necessary/advisable? I don't care about the voice prompts, so I was thinking about using the car power lead. Bad idea or not?

Actually, it's a great idea: taking advantage of existing connections.

BUT.....make sure you get the polarity right. Battery tenders are

connected "reversed", pos to pos, neg to neg. Use a meter to determine

how to wire connector to car adapter.

Actually, it's a great idea: taking advantage of existing connections.BUT.....make sure you get the polarity right. Battery tenders are

connected "reversed", pos to pos, neg to neg. Use a meter to determine

how to wire connector to car adapter.
I did this, but have two: one switched for farkles and one unswitched to continue to use the tender

Your's is unswitched and on all the time; I'm sure you realize this

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

For Gen 2 bikes, there is a 3AM switched circuit wired into the back of the accessory plug in the fairing cubby. I don't use mine for anything else so I wired my V1, TMPS and Zumo to this circuit. All go on and off with the key.

For Gen 2 bikes, there is a 3AM switched circuit wired into the back of the accessory plug in the fairing cubby. I don't use mine for anything else so I wired my V1, TMPS and Zumo to this circuit. All go on and off with the key.
Yeah, I plugged the GPS into it when it arrived the other day to make sure it worked. The thing is, with that big ass speaker Garmin attached right to the part that plugs in, the cover won't shut. I don't think I'd be able to hear it over the Dale Walker music anyway, so I was planning on 86ing the speaker. Since the BT lead is closer than the glovebox, I thought I'd use it instead, that way if my cell phone is running low I can charge it and still use the GPS.

I was talking about taping the wires behind it, but didn't catch that you are using the lighter plug. You'll want to use the first one that Blind Squirrel posted.

Why not get this, then keep the speaker plug intact for possible later use?
Garmin Wiring
$35-$8=$27 But seriously, the cage has built in GPS and I really don't see myself using headphones just to get 'turn by turn'. Plus, whenever I didn't have the unit on the bike, I'd have all that wire to deal with. The BT hookup would be cleaner I think. I'm leaning toward a clutch/brake RAM mount, so to get the unit off the bike, all I'd have to do is undo the BT connection and take the RAM arm off the mount with the GPS and wire still connected.