another gps question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
I have seen some great buys on these older units. I really dont need the "lastest and greatest" unit out there. I have seen these "newly overhauled" units with a year warrenty in the low $300. dollor range. Are these good for a m/c, and is the price right ($330. range). Thanks for any input... Smitty :unsure:

I'm running a Garmin GPS V and it works quite well, the screen is not colour and a bit small, but has served well enough over the last 4 yrs or so that I've had it. I think I paid about $500 when I got it, so they should be quite a bit cheaper now. It runs on AA batteries or you can get a power cable from Garmin to direct wire to the bike.

I'm running a Garmin GPS V and it works quite well, the screen is not colour and a bit small, but has served well enough over the last 4 yrs or so that I've had it. I think I paid about $500 when I got it, so they should be quite a bit cheaper now. It runs on AA batteries or you can get a power cable from Garmin to direct wire to the bike.

I also have a V on my FJR. I was thinking about putting it on my dirtbike. Just brainstorming about a upgrade... And your right, the V is all I really need...Thanks for the reply, Smitty

I also have a GPS V that is waiting to be mounted. Can you post pics of the V mounted on your bikes?

Thanks!

IM001666.jpg

I made a stainless steel bracket for the GPS to sit in with a mounting screw on the back that threads into body of the GPS.

I have seen some great buys on these older units. I really dont need the "lastest and greatest" unit out there. I have seen these "newly overhauled" units with a year warrenty in the low $300. dollor range. Are these good for a m/c, and is the price right ($330. range). Thanks for any input... Smitty :unsure:
in short - yes - they are quite good for a bike. The only thing i don't like is that you need to hard wire it to a hot lead instead of a switched one because there is no internal battery that will run the thing when the bike is off.

Also - make sure you have a compact flash card in it rather than the mini hard drive. the drive will fail long before the CF will. A 2 Gig will cover the US>

I like it. There are newer better faster ones out there, but it is a very serviceable unit. I used a regular street pilot (first model) for 7 years, so I like the new autorouting features.

My only complaint has been after a rain when I guess it is finger prints getting on the screen and sort of freeking it out into thinking you are touching the screen. Locks it up. I thought it was broken till I thought it through and cleaned the screen. Problem went away.

I was happy with my 2610. I did upgrade to the 2730 for the Birds Eye view screen and the XM radio, but the 2610 was a good unit.

been running a 2610 in the car and putting it on the bike whenever I ride since 2003. It still works fine. I'd say it would be a good investment.

My 2610 (bought used) works fine for me. I've been burned a couple of times by road construction but the XM 2730 is a spendy upgrade from where I am.