Another Gun tot'en question for the LEO's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
I have a friend that would like to go Long gun shooting at a range by his home. For gas reasons I would prefer to take the Feej over my dually (he is approx 70 mile each way). But where to put a rifle? I know I can legally drive down the road with it strapped to my back, as it is obviously not concealed, and I have a permit anyway. Would it make a diff if it is in a softcase on my back or in the open? If in the case would it be concidered concealed? I figure the troopers would get a few "man with a gun" calls as I ride down the road from paniced cagers. How do you respond to this, how do I respond to you other than I am breaking no law go check out the 2nd amendment.

Please post to the question and not the "rifle would impale you if you wreck" part.

Every state is different, but I thought Alabama had a law requiring a rifle or shotgun to be mounted in the back window of every pickup, so having one on your back shouldn't be any different.

:)

Sure as hell I would put it in a case. I would think having it open could be considered "Brandishing a Firearm."

I hear what you are saying about taking the bike vs taking the FJR, but ask yourself is it worth it? Even if you just get pulled over, and nothing comes of it, is it worth it. Yes, it is your right to transport the firearm, but is it worth it. A few dollars in fuel, vs all kinds of possible problems if you run into a LEO, who just wants to bust your chops. Is it worth it?

Sheesh, with a rifle strapped to your back, I'd think you would only get odd looks, not busted. I dunno nuthin about your state laws, but I would think it would be similar to a rifle on the rack in the window of your truck. Either cased or uncased. Maybe a quick call to the Sherriffs office is in order?

Depends if you are just plinking or serious about punching paper in the same hole every time.

I would use a hard case just to protect the gun.

The only reason I take a motorcycle (wr426f) with me is to setup targets 1000 yards out.

I love Colorado because you do not have to have a permit to carry a loaded hand gun concealed in your vehicle.

Also you don't need any permit to any guns, except full auto.

As for concealed carry on your person, my sons and I are putting in for the Utah concealed carry permit, better than Colorado, and cheaper.

It is always worth it, Why should we hide show some balls man.

Isn't a gun, a requirement for a marrage in Alabama, or is that Louisiana?

It would be tough to mount a rear window on the bike just for a gun rack.

Bob

Sure as hell I would put it in a case. I would think having it open could be considered "Brandishing a Firearm."
I hear what you are saying about taking the bike vs taking the FJR, but ask yourself is it worth it? Even if you just get pulled over, and nothing comes of it, is it worth it. Yes, it is your right to transport the firearm, but is it worth it. A few dollars in fuel, vs all kinds of possible problems if you run into a LEO, who just wants to bust your chops. Is it worth it?
I hadn't thought of the Brandishing part. So I looked it up: a dictionary definition is, "1. To wave or flourish (a weapon, for example) menacingly. 2. To display ostentatiously." It would not be in my hand so I would not be waving, The example given for displaying ostentatiously is pulling back a coat tail to show a pistol (wild west style). They do not allow rifles in PU windows anymore IIRC, it was due to folks stealing the weapon out of the PU.

Trigger - think about it, guns and bikes. If I could only throw sex in the mix I have found Nirvana. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Trigger - think about it, guns and bikes. If I could only throw sex in the mix I have found Nirvana. :rolleyes:
Dude, don't get me wrong! I love guns and bikes as much as anyone. Whenever I can, I put my shooting bag on the bike, and ride to the regular competitions in the area. The difference is that since I transport a handgun, it isn't as obvious what I have in the bag. Also, since I shoot with, and sometimes help train several LEO's in the area, I feel like I have a little bit of a cushion if I get questioned. I think you are within your rights to transport the gun, I just wouldn't transport a long gun this way. My $0.02.

It’s probably too late to help you for this trip, but there are many hard scabbards available for ATVs that don’t look like a gun tote. Then there are a bunch of really nice tooled leather scabbards that do look like a gun totes but damn, they sure are sweet. I’ve found that you can’t get a rifle across the handlebars of a FJR like you can on many Harleys. Hmm, design feature?

You can also fit a hard or soft tote nicely in a duffel bag, depending on length. I transported my shotgun that way before, just to not freak the neighbors.

You can also fit a hard or soft tote nicely in a duffel bag, depending on length. I transported my shotgun that way before, just to not freak the neighbors.
I don't know bout that one. This sucker is about 4 feet long. maybe a gunny sack :rolleyes: