Another Helmet Lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodstock

Reaction score
I heard that some people had luck with the BMW lidloc on the FJR, so I talked a buddy with a bmw into buying one, and then letting me borrow it. :D

For those who don't know, this clips into the handle of the hardbags such that when the handle is locked down, it can't be removed.

Here's what it looks like:

P8090397.jpg

Here's what it looks like on the bike, without a helmet. You can see how it latches in. The D ring is threaded onto the longer arm, then the bracket is latched into the handle, and the T prevents the D ring from coming off. It looks like it would slide off from this picture, but that's as far as it goes, it will wiggle, but it won't come off.

P8090396.jpg

This picture shows how it threads on the D ring.

P8090398.jpg

The helmet will sit on the saddle bags like this.

P8090399.jpg

It's not as solid on the FJR as on a BMW, so you probably don't want to ride around using it to store your extra helmet, but it's a reasonable alternative if you're packed pretty heavily and don't have room in the bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOODSTOCK

you sneaky bastard conning your mate! (Good one :D )

and..what kid of comms are you using in your helmet?

and..is that fucking carpet in your carage or is the baby parked in the lounge/bedroom? :eek:

Cheers

Thug:

1) Yea, he actually really likes it and it fits very snug on BMW bags, to the extent that people ride with spare helmets attached there.

2) Starcom1 system

3) No carpet (I guess that first picture kinda looks that way), just spotty/stained cement.

Bike Effects:

I've seen them on the 'net for $15 to $20, buddy got it at BMW dealer for about the same. They have a website, so you can take a look there. You can do a google search for lidloc (you can even find the .ws post about them)

galxy5:

Yea, I wouldn't ride with a helmet there, more like something to keep under the seat or in a saddle/tank/top bag. I would NOT put it in a pocket, though, doesn't look like something I'd want to land on.

One other thing...

Someone might be able to fab one that fits the FJR better? (Hint: Scott Cathey)

(Don't forget the rubber on the tip, though)

I have one of these but the hassle factor seems high to me. Some day I'll spring for the Bar-Enders but meanwhile I usually pop my lid in the Givi V46 trunk (mostly empty for daily travel).

I have one of these but the hassle factor seems high to me. Some day I'll spring for the Bar-Enders but meanwhile I usually pop my lid in the Givi V46 trunk (mostly empty for daily travel).
Yea, they're definately a bit of a hassle. I'd only recomend using it if the other bags (and topcase) are full and you have to leave the helmet on the bike. Normally, I do exactly what you said, use the Givi for helmet storage while off the bike.

A way to make the lidlocks more scratch proof is to dip them in stuff called Plastidip (think thats the name anyway) allows you to put a rubberized grip on a tool or other stuff. Works well and can be reapplied when it wears out. Just clean the component to be dipped, dip it in and let dry.

I have one of these; used it on my BMW (now sitting in the garage looking forlorn) and concour with all comments above. One other comment from the last time this was discussed....if someone wants the helmet, doesn't want to cut the strap, they may screw up your expensive bag big time trying to get it off. Hate to have the plastic handle broken by a screwdriver when someone walks away with your helmet.

I bought the BarEnders, but carry the BMW item with me in case my fellow riders want to secure their helmet on THEIR bag with it. Yes a tighter fit would be desirable, too.