Another SPOT rescue story...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering if you press the '911' button on the SPOT and then later found other rescue came in first, can you cancel the SPOT 911 from the device?
Sort of. You can "turn off" the 911 alert on the unit by holding it down for more than 5 seconds, but it doesn't send a different signal or anything that says "nevermind". It just stops the transmission.

And SPOT staff (actually GEOS) don't have their own rescue staff and would have likely called the same people that just rescued you. I would think if you cancel the alert they might follow up with whoever they called and say that they are no longer receiving an alert. But at that point it's with the local resuce authorities anyway.

As a sidenote of the artcile....I calculate that my "track me" signals alone have accounted for about 0.05% of the traffic on the SPOT network!

Last edited by a moderator:
As a sidenote of the artcile....I calculate that my "track me" signals alone have accounted for about 0.05% of the traffic on the SPOT network!
That means only 2000 active SPOT units in 'track me' mode will completely saturate the SPOT network?

That means only 2000 active SPOT units in 'track me' mode will completely saturate the SPOT network?
No. They said it was 6M cumulative reports since system inception. They did not specify system capacity.