Any experience with Aquaseal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Searched for "Aquaseal" on the forum came up empty. Has anyone ever tried this stuff for waterproofing leather gloves?

Aquaseal

Specifically looking at the Black Leather Conditioner for sealing gloves that are supposed to be waterproof. I have several pairs of "waterproof" gloves, and none of them really are. The gloves tend to work well for about an hour or two, but when riding all day (like coming back from NAFO) the insides get damp and cold. It seems to be the weakest link in my foul weather get-up.

I'm also sort of wondering if their StitchGuard wouldn't be good for sealing the stitch seams on a Leather Russell seat. I have not had any problems with my seat to date, just conditioning with Lexol and being careful to cover the seat at night (when my ass isn't covering it), but it has been reported that the stitching is the path for water migration into the seat foam.

I know that there are a multitude of other options, such as glove covers, etc. But I'd really like to be able to use the gloves that I hgave now even if it means having to re-treat them fairly often. I'd also be interested in hearing about other waterproofing treatments you have knowledge and experience with.

Searched for "Aquaseal" on the forum came up empty. Has anyone ever tried this stuff for waterproofing leather gloves?

Aquaseal

Specifically looking at the Black Leather Conditioner for sealing gloves that are supposed to be waterproof.

I know that there are a multitude of other options, such as glove covers, etc. But I'd really like to be able to use the gloves that I hgave now even if it means having to re-treat them fairly often. I'd also be interested in hearing about other waterproofing treatments you have knowledge and experience with.
Got something against riding like a Vulcan (Aerostich overgloves, lol)? I've heard about that stuff and I'm curious about it too. On the way back from NAFO, I soaked one pair of gloves early then threw on the other set along with the Stich over gloves...that worked VERY well; however, when I stopped for lunch, the weather looked to be improving so I ditched the overgloves...wrong move. Did fine until a sudden "ceiling fall out" drencher did me in and soaked my 2nd pair...which were supposed to be waterproof on their own, lol. Stopped and went back to my first set of soaked gloves (Aerostich Vegans) as they handle very well when wet...when I did have some dry periods, those gloves dried very quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what I use. 303 Products

I use the fabric product on all my Olympia gear and it works. I use their protectant on all plastic and rubber I have, car and bike. It fights UV rays on rubber and plastic and will not make your dash crack as Armor All will. It also is not sticky. I have used it for about 7 years now and those two products I buy by the gallon when they have sales.

As far as a leather seat black polish, then Lexol is all that is needed to completely seal a leather seat. My Russel on my LT went through a lot of rain and the seat never was wet underneath, a hand to push the beaded water off and get on and ride.

The 303 Products just plain work.

I think you need to buy some, go through the carwash about 10 times and let us know how it works.

:)

I'm willing to bet their StitchSeal product is a cyanoacrylate product just like those you can buy at hunting/outdoor suppliers.

Good "waterproof" gloves have an inner membrane of GoreTex or similar that does the actual waterproofing. How much and how well that membrane is used by the maker is key. But the leather can be effective as a first line of defense. Lots of leather waterproofers are available primarily for boots, but they work well on the backs of gloves. Most of them will make the palms too slippery for safe riding, so some care is needed in application.

I have a pair of orange, professional dishwasher gloves that fit over my regular leather gloves, and those are 100% waterproof without being too bulky. Sprinkle some talcum powder in them once in a while and they pull on easily.

pete

Overmitts are the way to go, McNett's seam grip for sealing seams if needed (good on fingertips for better grip too.)

So far , no endorsements for Aquaseal...

And the one that they provide on their own web site is a little bit worrisome:

A User Says:
  • "After 20 miles in a rain storm, traveling at 60 mi/per/hr, my feet were completely dry. Riding in Washington, leaky boots is a way of life. As soon as I got home, I told my wife, "Wow, this stuff really works.""
    ~Walt de Fisser, Motorcycle enthusiast
20 miles? Seriously Walt? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: