Any Experience with the New Bridgestone BT021's?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAFJR

Reaction score
Will need fresh tires in the next couple of weeks. Has anyone had any real world experience with the new Bridgestone BT021's on a FJR?

In the BT021's, are there FJR specific versions?

Jon

Will need fresh tires in the next couple of weeks. Has anyone had any real world experience with the new Bridgestone BT021's on a FJR?
In the BT021's, are there FJR specific versions?

Jon
I just got them yesterday.

Still have a couple thousand miles left on my old tires and then I will put on the BT021's.

Shouldn't be long. Looking forward to testing these tires out. Tread pattern looks cool.

I just put the BT021's on and so far I am very impressed. They have very good traction and combined with light and neutral steering characteristics, they are very confidence inspiring. I only have a few hundred miles on them so I don't know how they will wear. I have not tried them in the rain yet. However, of all the tires I have tried ( Avons, Metzler Z6, Perilli Strada, and the Pilot Road) so far I think I like these the best.

Back in dec. 1999, I had an ST1100 and tried all kinds of tires including the Metzler Z4, the Dunlap D205, and several bias ply tires. When I tried a set or BT020's I never use any other tire again. At the time they were clearly the best tire out there for that bike. Time marches on and the BT020 got a little long in the tooth so Bridgestone introduced the BT021 as it's replacement.

Southwest moto tires are selling a set of these for $215 delivered. Thats about 30 - 40 bucks cheaper than what they are selling the competing tires for. Not a bad deal.

I am having a set of BT021s installed today and should get a chance to try them out this weekend, or maybe tomorrow if things work just right. I didn't get anything special for the FJR. Bridgestone's website doesn't actually list them for the FJR so we'll see. I had BT020s on an SV a few years ago and liked them on the street. Don't expect great mileage, hopefully 4-5k.

Jon, regarding your question regarding if the BT021 comes in a FJR specific like the BT020 N . I talked with Bridgestone regarding this and they said they have no experience with the FJR using the BT021. He suggested watching the forums to see what oters expereience. I will need a new rear soon and plan to try the 021 unless the 020 N price is too low to resist. It wiil be interesting to get the results from the folks who are now trying them.

I have a set that I just got from SWMototires that I need to get on ASAP! My front tire is down to the skins. I will let you know what I think shortly.

JW

Somewhat better deals at Motorcycle Pro Shop.com. Not connected in any way. The Bridgestones look pretty good. PM. <>< :D

Somewhat better deals at Motorcycle Pro Shop.com. Not connected in any way. The Bridgestones look pretty good. PM. <>< :D
Price at Southwest Moto Tires: Bridgestone BT021's 120/70/17 $94.95 -------- 180/55/17 $119.95

If you buy 1 tire there is a $14.00 shipping charge. There is free shipping on 2 or more.

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Southwest Moto Tire

Price at Southwest Moto Tires: Bridgestone BT021's 120/70/17 $94.95 -------- 180/55/17 $119.95

If you buy 1 tire there is a $14.00 shipping charge. There is free shipping on 2 or more.

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Southwest Moto Tire
Thanks for the info. Real curious about the 21's. PM. <>< :D

Well I have a couple hundred miles on my BT021's and so far I'm very happy. When I had them mounted neither tire required hardly any weight to balance. The tires have excellent grip and feel very solid in the curves. This morning I got to test them on wet pavement and they seem to grip better than the Avon AV45/46's that I was running previously.

Now to see how they wear and last for the long haul!

Wally: Any feedback on your set?

JW

Yep.

Did about a 250 mile day down to Pine Mountain and back last weekend.

I like them a lot. They are very "bridgestoney" to me - good grip, very round feeling profile. That is no tendency to fall into the corner, very neutral. The bike stays wherever I put it in a corner and is easy to adjust if needed. No tendency to stand up on the brakes. I like them a lot. This ride was not all that agressive so I don't know what the grip is like closer to the limit, but at the 6-7/10 I did, they never hinted at slipping. Totally stuck.

I got them at Two Brothers in Lawrenceville - $287 installed (I did the wheel R&R myself).

Tomorrow I'm going to do a two up ride so I'll report back.

One additional observation about the BT021's. I took my son to his ballgame the other night and because it's only a few miles I didn't put my headphones/earplugs in for the trip. I get about a mile down the road and start thinking, What the hell is that sound? I flip my helmet and start listening closer. With 250-300 miles on these new tires my front tire sounds like I have a off-road tire? It's the most noise I have ever heard coming from a street tire. The thing runs smooth and rides excellent just makes a lot of noise?

Anyone else that's running these tires notice this?

JW

Jon, regarding your question regarding if the BT021 comes in a FJR specific like the BT020 N . I talked with Bridgestone regarding this and they said they have no experience with the FJR using the BT021. He suggested watching the forums to see what oters expereience. I will need a new rear soon and plan to try the 021 unless the 020 N price is too low to resist. It wiil be interesting to get the results from the folks who are now trying them.
The 020s suck ass. The 021s might be worth trying. I put Pilot Roads on my FJR and at ~6000 miles I'm going to need a new rear tire soon. I'll probably just go with another Road until it's time to put front and rear on together. At that point I might try the 021s.

I have 3500 miles on these tires so far and I am very impressed with them. The BT021's corner very well and they appear to be wearing well. The front looks brand new and has no cupping at all. The rear tire has a slight amount of wear and I am certain that I will get more than 7000 miles out of it. If this is true, the BT021 will be the best wearing tire I have used.

I had the opportunity to ride it in the rain the other day and as far as I can tell it performed well. However I fell the tires strong point is the way it corners. It provides excellent traction and very neutral steering characteristics.

I really like this tire.

I have 3500 miles on these tires so far and I am very impressed with them. The BT021's corner very well and they appear to be wearing well. The front looks brand new and has no cupping at all. The rear tire has a slight amount of wear and I am certain that I will get more than 7000 miles out of it. If this is true, the BT021 will be the best wearing tire I have used.
I had the opportunity to ride it in the rain the other day and as far as I can tell it performed well. However I feel the tires strong point is the way it corners. It provides excellent traction and very neutral steering characteristics.

I have not experienced any excessive noise with the tire. However I will take a good listen today and see if I hear anything.

I really like the BT021's and will likely stay with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just installed BT021's on the bike yesterday and got to ride them to work today. So far I'm very happy and I agree with the comment about them being very neutral in corners. On the highway they're very stable and track well - no wandering off on road irregularities or cracks. Maybe I'm just so happy to be of the Z6's that my opinion is a bit tainted, but I think these are keepers - miles will tell.

Dan

Ok, so I figured out why my front tire sounded like a tractor tire going down the road? Apparently my tire gauge had "Scab" fever. When I had the tires mounted I asked the tech to put them both at 40psi. Right before I mounted them back on the bike I double checked them and they were at 43psi. I adjusted them both to 41psi according to my gauge. Well after riding several times and starting to get pretty nervous about my front tire, I went and bought a new tire gauge last night to recheck them. Put it on the front, 27 freakin psi!! Check the back, 31 freakin psi!! :download: Put them both at 41psi and rode to the office this morning, nice and quiet and felt much better. :clapping:

JW